Fin Tear?

Yes my tank is cycled… I have a 5 gallon so I do water changes every week. I have mopani wood that does have some sharper edges, but the woman at the pet store told me it would cause no harm?

• Like 1

Fin tear is usually caused by a bacterial infection due to poor water quality.  Looks like fin rot to me.  Test your ammonia and nitrite levels and post the results and you'll have to treat it like a bacterial infection to treat.  

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 3:04 PM, Maya said:

I have mopani wood that does have some sharper edges, but the woman at the pet store told me it would cause no harm?

It usually won't. but i think that's not the issue. 1 agree with @DBrown918 looks very much like fine rot. I'd get some maracyn2 and start him on that right away. from amazon, coop. or a local store. Follow the label very closely

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 3:04 PM, Maya said:

Yes my tank is cycled… I have a 5 gallon so I do water changes every week. I have mopani wood that does have some sharper edges, but the woman at the pet store told me it would cause no harm?

Then it’s bacterial, the ammonia and nitrite levels is what you will need to test @Maya. Agreed with @DBrown918, @Tony s.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 5:27 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

But the clear parts between the ripped up parts look to be regrowth

Yeah, saw that too. but to me it looks like it's thinning tissue. ready to form even bigger rips. the bottom fins of the second photo appear dull grey to brown. Thin enough for light to go through

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 6:32 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, saw that too. but to me it looks like it's thinning tissue. ready to form even bigger rips. the bottom fins of the second photo appear dull grey to brown. Thin enough for light to go through

Yes, my betta had that regrowth but then it would just get even worse. If it’s red as well, that usually means continued infection. Kanaplex is my suggestion. Colu is a master tho at diseases, he might know more than us.

• Like 1

Lot of good advice I would test your water parameters just in case something off what temperature the tank I would do two courses of kanaplex back to back that's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment as most cases of fin rot are caused by gram negative bacteria I would also add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect add any extra air stone during treatment@Maya

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/17/2024 at 10:59 PM, Maya said:

Help! I’m pretty sure my fish is experiencing fin tear as his fins look really brittle. What should I do?

IMG_8042.jpeg

IMG_8043.jpeg

To help your fish with fin tears, ensure the water quality is optimal. Consider adding aquarium salt or medications like Melafix for fin regeneration. Observe for any signs of infection and maintain a stress-free environment. Writing my dissertation was less stressful with https://ukwritings.com/dissertation-services ukwritings help. Their dissertation services are thorough and reliable, ensuring that every chapter was well-crafted and cohesive. The support team was also very helpful, addressing all my concerns promptly. I highly recommend UK Writings for anyone working on their dissertation.

I appreciate all for the advice, I will keep it in my mind.

Edit: it helps me a lot.

Edited by DarlaFrami
  • Like 1