Wild plants for my tank?

So I just came up with a revolutionary idea that has definitely never been thought of by anyone. Can I take aquatic plants (i.e. floaters, or whatever) from outside and put them into a tank? I live in Florida and there are retention ponds everywhere. Can I just pick em' up and put em' in my tank? Thx in advance. 

On 5/6/2024 at 6:39 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

So I just came up with a revolutionary idea that has definitely never been thought of by anyone. Can I take aquatic plants (i.e. floaters, or whatever) from outside and put them into a tank? I live in Florida and there are retention ponds everywhere. Can I just pick em' up and put em' in my tank? Thx in advance. 

Wild plants from ponds, and lakes are risky believe me. I personally collected hornwort from and placed it Ina jar observed the jar and planaria and leeches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean, technically yes, you can but you might be introducing some unwanted pests into your aquarium. I’ve only tried this twice and only with terrestrial grown plants that I carefully washed and observed … a moss I grew in a snail tank and currently, Dollar weed that I’m experimenting with to see if it will grow as a floating plant. Both times I made sure I wasn’t introducing any critters into my aquarium as best I could. I’m not sure I’d entertain putting plants from the local waterways into my tank though 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:39 PM, T. Payne said:

I do it all time. My biggest issue is inadvertently introducing dragon fly larvae.

Is there really any special way of doing it? or just go behind my house grab a handful and put in in my tank? Should I get some pond water as well?

I have always just collected them and rinsed them off extremely well. Be advised, you can introduce pretty much anything into your tanks by doing this. Honestly, I feel pretty lucky I have not had more issues.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 1:50 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Is there really any special way of doing it? or just go behind my house grab a handful and put in in my tank? Should I get some pond water as well?

Usual method is hydrogen peroxide/alum dip to kill hitchhikers. Not sure on the exact dilution but I know a few folks who regularly go collecting.

Ok So another question, I went to my pond behind my house and I found a cool rock. It was half submerged in the dirt and the other half was in the water, how do I clean to rock so its fine for my tank. Bleach? Alcohol? Good Scrubbing?