First selection of plants for a beginner tank.

I am starting a new Neo tank for shrimp and small fish like neons. My tank size is 12 x 8.6 x 9. My image are the plants that I’m considering. Let me know what experience is on any of these plants and your opinion. I don’t plant to add CO. Thanks so much.IMG_0095.jpeg.69d4ed30dad2a739475bba1203ddcabd.jpeg

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I believe Monte Carlo would really appreciate CO2. 

Anubius and Java Ferns should be good. Same with crypts. For me, Java ferns and Crypts simply don’t work well in my water and I haven’t been able to unlock the secret to make them thrive. 

Outside of epiphytes, remember that you’re paying for the root system. Lots of plants will melt, and then bounce back. Even moving plants tank to tank that will happen. 

Overall, seems like a good starting point. You’ll have to try plants and see what does well with your water/maintenance schedule/fertilizer/etc. 

• Like 2

Hello Chuckie,

I would not go for monte carlo in a lowtech setup. I invested in it in three different tanks with different heights and lights (one being hightech light= including aquasoil but no co2. Never worked for me. It really needs that juicy co2 if you ask me.

Crypt is a great idea. Maybe you can change monte carlo with crypt lucens, they are tiny crypts, so may help you to have a more naturalistic look due to varying sizes of plants, popping up next to a rock or wood work, etc.

Java Ferns (both normal ones and windelov) are accepted as beginnner friendly, but they never do well in my tanks. Only way to figure out if a plant would work for your tank is to try. And this can be sadly costy.

I would surely buy a bigger sized anubias, not petite. Petites are super small. Nana for smaller size and barteri for medium size is a better choice imo, unless one is willing to invest in so many petites to create a different style. For your tank size, I would go for nana instead.

Ive never had microsword so I cannot comment on that one.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 3:11 PM, Lennie said:

I would not go for monte carlo in a lowtech setup

I tried it in a higher light with no co2. it did mostly fine. But... it was in a small sized gravel and the roots let go. ended up floating like an oversized duckweed. grew really well then.🤣 had to net out lots over several months. 

On 5/2/2024 at 2:54 PM, Chuckie said:

and small fish like neons

If I may suggest, go for green neons instead of regular neons. regular neons are getting relatively difficult to keep alive. they're just not as hardy as they used to be, or should be

• Like 2

You’re getting some great advice. I second Java fern and Anubias as they are super easy to grow and can be maintained with just a liquid fertilizer as opposed to root tabs monthly, substrate doesn’t matter to them, just glue them to rock or wood and go!  I love crypts as well, they do usually melt back at first as mentioned, but once established, they do great. For the rooted plants I suggest a good substrate. I use  caribsea eco complete. It doesn’t contain a lot of nutrients initially but absorbs them from root tabs and liquid ferts to release as needed, and it doesn’t break down. As far as the fish with shrimp, I would get the shrimp colony really established before adding fish so that the shrimp breeding will outpace the babies being eaten, because almost every fish will eat shrimplets! I’ve had the best luck with pigmy Cory’s and chili rasboras as their mouths are so small. Good luck and keep us posted!

If you’re looking for something else to add you could also try Vallisneria! It grows really tall for a nice background plant and then when it gets established will start popping out runners. I can’t grow anything and my Val is starting to take off. 
Different plants do well in different tanks, so the best advice I can give is just to try any of the plants that are available to you and that you can afford 🙂

Those are perfect plants for a beginner except for the mc and micro sword. They really like co2 and higher light than the other plants will be able to use.dwarf chain sword are a good replacement for it though.With the other plants you can turn the light down very low to avoid algae issues and give them at least 8 hours a day. You probably won't even need ferts because they are very low demand plants. Be warned that once crypts settle in they can become almost invasive sending runners under the substrate all over the tank and chain sword is just as bad.

On 5/2/2024 at 11:54 AM, Chuckie said:

I am starting a new Neo tank for shrimp and small fish like neons. My tank size is 12 x 8.6 x 9. My image are the plants that I’m considering. Let me know what experience is on any of these plants and your opinion. I don’t plant to add CO. Thanks so much.IMG_0095.jpeg.69d4ed30dad2a739475bba1203ddcabd.jpeg

Lovely selection.  If it were my tank I would also add some Dragon  Claw just because it is great to put into a small space and they stay small so they won't overwhelm the space in the future.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, Yoshi said:

Don't forget about java moss!  Great to leave free floating and provides a lot of cover for baby shrimp.

I would prefer it on the ground, but the shrimp and shrimplets will love it.