Angelfish with possible Hole in head

Hello,  

does this gash above left eye of Angel look like hole in head?  

Been there 2 months.  No other holes observed.  Asymptomatic until Last week-  angel is now not eating, nervous, staying away from me, thin.   Stays in one area of tank. 

Anyone have any thoughts?  Can HITH be on a fish that long sans symptoms?

I have started Gen  Cure in 75 gall tank to be safe per my LFS. 

I am fairly new to fish keeping and it has been a bumpy road so far. 

Tank-75 gall

water parameters- normal

temp 78

weekly water changes 20%

Oase 600 filter

Much thanks, I am trying to save her. 

Colette

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3169.jpeg

Thank you, I was afraid it may be. Here is a picture in December- no black gash. 

The other 2 photos are progression of left eye gash.  
I was trying not to over think her wound, hoping it was a scrape, that healed with black pigment. 

I tend to over think and worry about these fish too much. 

But now…. I am not sure I did the right thing. 

Thank you for any advice.  I really need it at this point.  

Colette

IMG_2172.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2917.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Could be hole in the head disease that can be caused by Hexamita nutritional deficiency poor water quality there's supposedly a link between the use of active carbon and hole in the head if your water parameters are fine I would look at what your feeding I would stop using active carbon if your using it the most effective treatments are metronidazole active ingredient in metroplex or fritz metrocleanse in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks if he's not eating dose the tank @Colette

1000000024.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

I can do that. The other day Nitrates at 25.  Did small water change 2 days ago.  Today Nitrates at 10.  

thanks!! Colette

Thank you, I was afraid it may be. Here is a picture in December- no black gash. 

The other 2 photos are progression of left eye gash.  
I was trying not to over think her wound, hoping it was a scrape, that healed with black pigment. 

I tend to over think and worry about these fish too much. 

But now…. I am not sure I did the right thing. 

Thank you for any advice.  I really need it at this point.  

Colette

Thank you all for the info.  I have Gen cure in the tank.  I will get Entice tomorrow.  Try it.   I appreciate the help!!  Colette

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!   I have aquarium co op test strips and ammonia strips.  Test water daily. Gen cure in tank. 
I am hoping my Angel recovers.  I love her so

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 12:35 PM, Colette said:

Thanks everyone!   I have aquarium co op test strips and ammonia strips.  Test water daily. Gen cure in tank. 
I am hoping my Angel recovers.  I love her so

Let us know how it goes @Colette! Hope it recovers soon! Yep, water changes can always help

• Like 1

Hi, update on my Angelfish.  

She spits out food if she even grabs a bit at all.  Swims in slow circles to the right, but controlled. She has been doing this for a week.  The fish can stop herself.  I thought her circling was stress related.  

Water parameters normal. Nitrates are 10.  
I am continuing Gen Cure for suspect HITH.   I am unable to attach a video of her circling behavior for some reason.

I bought fish food clips to keep her food stable in one spot in the tank.  

This fish does not come to the surface of tank anymore.  Her vision might be affected.

current left eye gash status.  Divider placed so she can get food without other fish bombarding it. 

I plan to call a fish vet for a consult.  I hope  she recovers. 

Thank you so much for your advice so far.  I really am grateful.  
Colette

image.jpg

• Like 1

Update!  
Angel is slowly adapting to eating from a fish food clip.  Black area of suspect HITH lesion is smaller yet visible, above left eye.  Seems less nervous but still pensive.  Vision suspect.

Fish Vet consult Friday. Angel staying home.  Just bringing videos.

Tank divider has helped give angel time to find food.  She refused to forage from substrate.  But doing ok so far!

1st picture- current lesion status 

2nd picture- maybe 10 days ago

thank you all for the advice and support!

colette

IMG_3301.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

• Like 1

@Colu

@Whitecloud09

Hello,   My angel is not well.  Had a few promising days with better stability and appetite.  

Went to fish vet.  Angel’s fecal negative.  Water tested normal.   All videos of her symptoms were reviewed.

As of yesterday, Saturday, she is slowly spinning, rolling backwards with little evidence of the ability to stop herself for long.  

She is in a hospital tank with aqur. Salt 1 Tbspn/5 gall.   Also has Gen Cure in there, just in case.  Vet said to try it.

In terms of salt ratio for swim bladder-  do I stick with the API product reccs or try your 1:2 or 1:3 salt to gall ratio, as in your article?    

much thanks!  Colette

Posted (edited)

What I would do is to start water changing out the salt leave 1 table spoon for 10 gallons what other medications do you have to hand did the vet give you a definitive diagnosis@Colette

Edited by Colu

@Colu  Hi and thank you!! Nothing definative.   She was declining, then much improved Thursday,  swimming better,  eating better off food clips.   Friday, overnight, stuck in the driftwood,  bolted out somehow, then lateral on the bottom for 1 hour.  Recovered Friday.  By Saturday,  circling, slowly whirling backwards as if she is on a Slow motion roller coaster.   Vet thinks neuro or swim bladder.   Not clear.   I just put the fish in this tank today, with the salt.   Is a water change safe?  I am just desperate at this point.  Fish has been unwell for 2-3 weeks

thanks so much,

colette

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 1:20 AM, Colette said:

@Colu  Hi and thank you!! Nothing definative.   She was declining, then much improved Thursday,  swimming better,  eating better off food clips.   Friday, overnight, stuck in the driftwood,  bolted out somehow, then lateral on the bottom for 1 hour.  Recovered Friday.  By Saturday,  circling, slowly whirling backwards as if she is on a Slow motion roller coaster.   Vet thinks neuro or swim bladder.   Not clear.   I just put the fish in this tank today, with the salt.   Is a water change safe?  I am just desperate at this point.  Fish has been unwell for 2-3 weeks

thanks so much,

colette

I would usually recommend Epsom salt baths in it's weaken state I think that would be to stressful what I would do is add epsom salt to his tank  1 table spoon for 1 gallon for 5 days. As epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder 

Edited by Colu

On 5/13/2024 at 7:31 AM, Colette said:

@Colu  much thanks-  epsom salt.  I can try that.  Epsom salt and Aquarium salt in same tank is not too much?

colette

I would just gradually water change out the aquarium salt and just use plane unscented epsom salt 

@ColuThank you!  

I can try that.   Have you ever seen an Angelfish go from slow circling to the right, to slow backward/ Backflip circles?    

Here are some still photos of how she moves.  I cannot upload videos. 

Again she can hold herself steady at times, just not for long.

Have a great day and thank you for all the advice.  I do appreciate it. Colette

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 5/13/2024 at 6:23 PM, Colette said:

@ColuThank you!  

I can try that.   Have you ever seen an Angelfish go from slow circling to the right, to slow backward/ Backflip circles?    

Here are some still photos of how she moves.  I cannot upload videos. 

Again she can hold herself steady at times, just not for long.

Have a great day and thank you for all the advice.  I do appreciate it. Colette

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I seen fish do this sometimes it's caused by swim bladder or neurological issues or they had an impact like   swimming into the glass it can have a number of causes hopefully you will see some improvement with the epsom epsom salt treatment 

@Colu @Whitecloud09

My angel is finally slowly improving neurologically.   Swimming normally last 36 hrs. Eating very small amounts.  Gen cure and Aq salt in the tank for a few more days.  I will continue to keep her separated. 

Thank you all so very much for the advice and support! Colette

IMG_3383.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1