Otocinlus

Hi, Just wanted your thoughts.  I have 3 Otocinclus and almost never see them.  I have some wood and plants that they could be hiding in/under.  Is it weird that I never see them?  I am wondering if 2 of them have died however I would need to disturb everything to find out for sure and having newborn shrimp I am reluctant to do this.  My plants are more grown up than the picture shows.Tank.JPG.9ffaeb676f7874cf9b582fcc755dd333.JPG

How long have you had them? Otos are shy for like a good month after introduction 

If you are really worried feed them and try to setup a camera see if they all show up. Your presence might be making them hide until they realize you’re the hand that feeds then they are constantly demanding food

On 4/26/2024 at 1:48 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

How long have you had them? Otos are shy for like a good month after introduction 

If you are really worried feed them and try to setup a camera see if they all show up. Your presence might be making them hide until they realize you’re the hand that feeds then they are constantly demanding food

Thank you BB.  I have had them for several months.  I will give this a try. 

I've have 4 Oto's in my 29g tank for 2 years and I rarely see them except once the tank lights are out. I *can* find them if I look really hard, they are usually stretched out on a Driftwood limb and blending in almost perfectly or inside one of the caves created by the spiderwood in the tank. Every now and then I will question whether I may have lost one or two.. only to see them all on the glass either very early in the morning before the lights come on or very late at night after the lights go out. They don't seem to like being out in the open and hang out in the heaviest planted parts of the tank. Sometimes, I can lure them out with some zucchini.

Edited by FLFishChik

On 4/26/2024 at 5:12 PM, FLFishChik said:

I've have 4 Oto's in my 29g tank for 2 years and I rarely see them except once the tank lights are out. I *can* find them if I look really hard, they are usually stretched out on a Driftwood limb and blending in almost perfectly or inside one of the caves created by the spiderwood in the tank. Every now and then I will question whether I may have lost one or two.. only to see them all on the glass either very early in the morning before the lights come on or very late at night after the lights go out. They don't seem to like being out in the open and hang out in the heaviest planted parts of the tank. Sometimes, I can lure them out with some zucchini.

Thank you FFC.  The wood in my tank is very dark and it is often difficult to see them against it.  I will give it some time and see is they show up.