How to leak test a large(ish) aquarium?

Baloo

I've never leak tested any of my smaller aquariums prior to setup, but I have a new 60 breeder that I would like to test (because...Aqueon). 

Since it's too large to easily put in a bathtub for this, I will probably find a level spot outside.  I am assuming I fill it all the way up, right, to check all the seams?  If so, it will be too heavy to test up on a sturdy table (to easily siphon it back out with gravity's help), so should I just leave it on the ground and siphon it slowly that way, until empty?  

I feel silly for asking this, I've just never done this before - and with such a large tank it does not seem obvious or easy.  Some YT videos I watched only did this for smaller (max 20g?) tanks.  

Thanks, fish friends!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:48 PM, Baloo said:

I've never leak tested any of my smaller aquariums prior to setup, but I have a new 60 breeder that I would like to test (because...Aqueon). 

Since it's too large to easily put in a bathtub for this, I will probably find a level spot outside.  I am assuming I fill it all the way up, right, to check all the seams?  If so, it will be too heavy to test up on a sturdy table (to easily siphon it back out with gravity's help), so should I just leave it on the ground and siphon it slowly that way, until empty?  

I feel silly for asking this, I've just never done this before - and with such a large tank it does not seem obvious or easy.  Some YT videos I watched only did this for smaller (max 20g?) tanks.  

Thanks, fish friends!

Yes setting aquarium on a level spot outside is fine.

I personally have used the garage floor. @Baloo

• Like 2

Why not test it exactly where it will be set up? (Unless you have tanks in the way that will be switched out). This will give you an opportunity to not only leak test, but to level whatever stand you will be permanently putting it on.....without the stress of having to move fish into it right away.

• Like 2

I leak tested my tank on my deck, I made sure that the area was smooth and flat first then I filled the tank with water 5 gallons at a time checking for obvious leaks then left full for a week checking for any slow leaks.  Then well because my tank is obviously older when I placed it in it's final spot I checked for leaks again 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:48 PM, Baloo said:

but I have a new 60 breeder that I would like to test (because...Aqueon). 

I bought a Aqueon 40 breeder which got alot of bad reviews concerning leaks. The factory silicone job was very sloppy, I ended up re-sealing it with black silicone. I also wanted experience in resealing tanks. 

Someone suggested sealing the bottom of the tank ie: flip it upside down and apply silicone between the glass and plastic frame. An easy job that require little prep. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

@TJ _isme, thanks for your input on draining...that was the piece that wasn't intuitive to me, since you can't just turn a large tank over on its side and dump.  I'm unsure what a submersible pump is, so I will have to look that up; all I have are the gravel vacs/water change hoses.

@madmark285, from my untrained eye it doesn't look too sloppy, but not a bad idea to seal the bottom...

@johnnyxxl, yes filling it up a few inches at a time and checking for obvious water beads seems like the way to go. I did see a Big Al's Pets video that said this.  

Did you fill your 110 all the way up, @face?  How did you empty it, then?

Edited by Baloo
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 3:31 PM, Baloo said:

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

@TJ _isme, thanks for your input on draining...that was the piece that wasn't intuitive to me, since you can't just turn a large tank over on its side and dump.  I'm unsure what a submersible pump is, so I will have to look that up; all I have are the gravel vacs/water change hoses.

@madmark285, from my untrained eye it doesn't look too sloppy, but not a bad idea to seal the bottom...

@johnnyxxl, yes filling it up a few inches at a time and checking for obvious water beads seems like the way to go. I did see a Big Al's Pets video that said this.  

Did you fill your 110 all the way up, @face?  How did you empty it, then?

A submersible pump is just a pump that pumps water and it can be under the water,

I set the submersible pump into the tank then turn it on  and it pump all the water out through a hose

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:17 PM, quikv6 said:

Why not test it exactly where it will be set up? (Unless you have tanks in the way that will be switched out). This will give you an opportunity to not only leak test, but to level whatever stand you will be permanently putting it on.....without the stress of having to move fish into it right away.

What if it does leak and he has nice hardwood floors or carpet?

On 4/21/2024 at 6:54 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

What if it does leak and he has nice hardwood floors or carpet?

Exactly -- soaking the carpet in my living room seems to defeat the exact purpose of a leak test, ha!  

Oh, interesting!  Thanks for the link on the pump!

It is currently on the garage floor, full of water...so now we wait.