Is this chip in my aquarium going to be a problem?

On glass cost, the front piece would cost over $200 to replace. Glass is quite expensive these days. A cheap source of glass, buy aquarium on sale at PetCo and break them down. 

A new 125 gallon tank is ~$500. 

• Like 2

The good news is it's high up, so the water pressure should be lower. How comfortable are you with working with epoxies/resins? There are "chip fixing " epoxies for use on windshields that could (maybe should?) fill the voids and stabilize the chipped area. You'll want to get the epoxy into the finest of the voids though and fill them thoroughly. There are windshield repair kits that I'd give a shot to and see if it worked. A good epoxy will be as strong or stronger than the original glass. The challenge is getting it everywhere it needs to be with no voids. Some poking and jabbing with as fine a needle or wire as you can find to get the epoxy deep into any voids would help. The water pressure at the top of a tank is a lot lower than the water pressure at the bottom of a tank. If the epoxy can stabilize the situation, you could have a very long-lasting tank.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2024 at 9:10 AM, gardenman said:

The good news is it's high up, so the water pressure should be lower. How comfortable are you with working with epoxies/resins? There are "chip fixing " epoxies for use on windshields that could (maybe should?) fill the voids and stabilize the chipped area. You'll want to get the epoxy into the finest of the voids though and fill them thoroughly. There are windshield repair kits that I'd give a shot to and see if it worked. A good epoxy will be as strong or stronger than the original glass. The challenge is getting it everywhere it needs to be with no voids. Some poking and jabbing with as fine a needle or wire as you can find to get the epoxy deep into any voids would help. The water pressure at the top of a tank is a lot lower than the water pressure at the bottom of a tank. If the epoxy can stabilize the situation, you could have a very long-lasting tank.

I was just looking into that as an option for them.  The kit for filling the windshield voids were cheap when I bought the last one less than 20 dollars.

• Like 1

I am the lone go for it person on this thread but I freely admit that a crack forming down the road is a major issue. Just curious if a Windshield Crack Repair Kit could be used. 

Another option if you are a I like to fix/build things kind of person. Since you want a arowana, a low boy style tank would work just fine. You could breakdown this tank and cut off the damaged glass, the bad section is near the top. So now you have a ~72" x 18" x 18" tank instead of 21" tall. 

For this project, removing the frame would be the first and possible the hardest part of the job. So the good news, if you can't do this then just trash the tank. What you need is a thin razor knife  which can hold 4" razor blades. You have to cut the silicone inside the frame.

I have never cut glass but a local glass shop may cut if for a reasonable price. Or cut it yourself. 

The overflow boxes would have to be cut down, I assume they are acrylic and can be easily cut with the right tools. Where are the holes for the thru hole fittings?

Resealing a tank is not that difficult. The hard part is removing all the old silicone. A DIY job may be better than the factory sealing Aqueon does on their tanks. 

• Like 3

On 4/17/2024 at 9:10 AM, gardenman said:

The water pressure at the top of a tank is a lot lower than the water pressure at the bottom of a tank.

She wants an arowana so not filling the tank to the top would be a good idea for that fish ie: they are big time jumpers. 

• Like 2

I just had to google what a paludarium is LOL. They look pretty cool. I got a windshield repair kit so I am starting there. I still don't know if I will trust filling it up after that I will keep brain storming. I am using it for something cool no matter what. There is just to much potential. Maybe a paludarium is the way to go. Or just not filling it to the top so I can still get the arowana that I wanna. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 10:56 AM, madmark285 said:

I am the lone go for it person on this thread but I freely admit that a crack forming down the road is a major issue

I honestly think that's not the case at all. I think everybody's heart just breaks for her. we all know how much it would mean to us.

@NikkiRae if you can find a glass shop nearby, and after the auto window treatment. get a 3-inch wide, possibly an inch thick piece of glass running from top frame to bottom frame. and use aquarium sealing silicon and place it over the crack as a bolster. probably gives you the best shot to use it. really, good luck! I hope it works out

and for that arowana, you're going to want a beefed-up lid anyway. so, glass shop could be good. They pack enough punch they can go through a regular lid

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

The tank came with tight fitting, heavy  glass lids because the heaters and air can go in the sump or in the back thingys. It would be perfect if is wasn't for that stupid chip. Keep the ideas coming LOL

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 7:40 PM, NikkiRae said:

It would be perfect if is wasn't for that stupid chip

Yeah, I know. and really everybody gets it. but the majority with the most experience, I know they get it, but they probably do have the best advice. just from their own tanks crashing. If you can site it where the water won't do a lot of damage, you can try. hopefully some of the repair ideas work. cross all the fingers you got. losing the opportunity like this is such a gut punch.

Im going to do it. Re-seal, windshield repair, silicone, glass panes, and a dream. Don't hold your breath for a post of how it goes, because I have to do everything little by little since I work full time and take care of kids. Also don't want to rush it. Plus, I am going to have to move it to my basement for the testing phase and that thing is heavy and BIG!! I might even have to do it on my back deck to avoid the basement stairs. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:48 PM, NikkiRae said:

Im going to do it. Re-seal, windshield repair, silicone, glass panes, and a dream. Don't hold your breath for a post of how it goes, because I have to do everything little by little since I work full time and take care of kids. Also don't want to rush it. Plus, I am going to have to move it to my basement for the testing phase and that thing is heavy and BIG!! I might even have to do it on my back deck to avoid the basement stairs. 

Tested mine on deck also

• Like 1

Soooo.. I had a nightmare about the tank failing so. I am going to turn it into a paludarium tank with a waterfall. I won't get the arowana that I want but I can turn this into something really cool. It is going to be fairly easy to do the water fall with the way it is set up. Then I won't have to fill it up all the way up. @madmark285. Now I am going  watch a tone of videos about paludarium's to get some ideas and inspiration. 

• Love 1

It will certainly hold fine 10 inches of water or more. Maybe check out  paludariums. If those look like fun for you then you could have an awesome tank for it that few others have. Also I would personally fill it all the way up and see what happens 

On 4/17/2024 at 7:21 PM, Tony s said:

I think everybody's heart just breaks for her. we all know how much it would mean to us.

I am not trying to be the good cop here, I am concerned about offering dangerous advice. I built my fish room in a 3rd floor finished attic space in my 100 year old house. I minimized the risk by putting the 75 gallon tank&sump over a load bearing wall which I rebuilt.  But I am not sure i would put a tank in my family room with a wood floor made from old growth oak. 

I should use more caution when offering advice, I never had a large aquarium failure which dumped a 100 gallons of water on the floor. 

On 4/18/2024 at 7:25 AM, NikkiRae said:

I am going to turn it into a paludarium tank with a waterfall.

You should start a new thread, maybe Mr. OnlyGenusCap has some time and can drop by. He has a bunch of vivariums with poison dart frogs. He is the person who got me thinking about building a paludarium with Yellow-bellied toads. Mrs Mad did not approve of this project 🙂 

For a waterfall, I have an idea on building a water distribution box with control values from cheap PVC parts. The idea here, pump the water to the top of the paludarium then pipe it to differ areas which can have different elevation. Controlling water is tricky as it will always take the path of least resistance. A water distribution box gives you the control, I want X amount of water to come out in this spot.

A paludarium would be alot of fun to build!!! The forum PlantedTank may be helpful. 

I would still fix the chip with the windshield repair kits, they are cheap and would help on the appearance of the tank. Let us know, I can suggest how I would fix it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:33 AM, madmark285 said:

am not trying to be the good cop here, I am concerned about offering dangerous advice

Na, you’re good. My concern was she was going to do it anyway. Was just offering some constructive advice on repair. She backed out of it. Which was the correct decision. I don’t believe I said go ahead and don’t worry about it. I believe I said, if you’re going to try, put it somewhere it’s not going to cause a lot of damage if it goes. And gave some advice on reinforcing the tank. I, personally couldn’t sleep with it in a sensitive spot. It would have been in the basement next to the drain. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 7:25 AM, NikkiRae said:

I won't get the arowana that I want

Ok, one more thought on this. 

The question I have, how deep does the water have to be for an arowana? I believe your tank is ~72"x18"x21".Would a water depth of 10-12" be enough for an arowana? This is well below the chipped area. These guys are a surface dwelling fish who hunt in flooded areas of the Amazon, I am not sure if they live in the deep open waters of the river. ,

What I think would be a amazing tank, a paludarium with an arowana. Your could put a land section in the back corners and 2 islands in the middle of the tank. The arowana would still have enough area to swim around. On the back wall above the water, glue cork to the tank and grow plants off it (this comes from vivariums). You could also put cork on the side walls, this could partially hide any repairs you make to the chipped area. 

You have two overflow boxes in your tank. Those could be removed and cut down. Install them in the corner land sections of the tank and drill new holes for the thru hull fittings. Now you can use the sump for filtration which also gives you alot more water volume for the system. You could set this up to create river water flow. How big is the sump?

This could be a spectacular showcase Amazon river tank! Don't give up yet!

Edit: Reading up on Arowana, you may need a upgrade path if you go with this fish after a couple years ie: a bigger tank. It looks like you could get ~80" wide  x 30" deep tank in that space. But what I read, you need a minimum of 8' long tank.

Edited by madmark285
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:56 AM, madmark285 said:

Ok, one more thought on this. 

The question I have, how deep does the water have to be for an arowana? I believe your tank is ~72"x18"x21".Would a water depth of 10-12" be enough for an arowana? This is well below the chipped area. These guys are a surface dwelling fish who hunt in flooded areas of the Amazon, I am not sure if they live in the deep open waters of the river. ,

What I think would be a amazing tank, a paludarium with an arowana. Your could put a land section in the back corners and 2 islands in the middle of the tank. The arowana would still have enough area to swim around. On the back wall above the water, glue cork to the tank and grow plants off it (this comes from vivariums). You could also put cork on the side walls, this could partially hide any repairs you make to the chipped area. 

You have two overflow boxes in your tank. Those could be removed and cut down. Install them in the corner land sections of the tank and drill new holes for the thru hull fittings. Now you can use the sump for filtration which also gives you alot more water volume for the system. You could set this up to create river water flow. How big is the sump?

This could be a spectacular showcase Amazon river tank! Don't give up yet!

Edit: Reading up on Arowana, you may need a upgrade path if you go with this fish after a couple years ie: a bigger tank. It looks like you could get ~80" wide  x 30" deep tank in that space. But what I read, you need a minimum of 8' long tank.

One day when I don't have to deal with expensive children or if I find a really good deal, I am getting a 200 gallon tank and putting whatever my heart desires in there. For now I am planning the paludarium and I think the perfect fish to start with is going to be leopard Ctenopoma's. The sump looks to be 20 gallons but I am not 100% sure on that, could be more. Now I need to think of some land dwellers that won't be able to hurt the Ctenopoma's, won't fit in the Ctenopoma's mouth, and aren't super high maintenance and plan the landscape which is actually pretty exciting. I might skip land dwellers and just go crazy with some really cool plants. The thing about reptiles and amphibians is the bio load and maintenance. I used to rehabilitate snapping turtles and had red eared sliders as pets and they can muddy up waters really quick. I wouldn't put those examples in there anyway because they would eat the fish but I am sure you get my point LOL. Since Ctenopoma's originate in the Congo I am going to research what that landscape looks like to get a theme going. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:07 AM, Tony s said:

Na, you’re good. My concern was she was going to do it anyway. Was just offering some constructive advice on repair. She backed out of it. Which was the correct decision. I don’t believe I said go ahead and don’t worry about it. I believe I said, if you’re going to try, put it somewhere it’s not going to cause a lot of damage if it goes. And gave some advice on reinforcing the tank. I, personally couldn’t sleep with it in a sensitive spot. It would have been in the basement next to the drain. 

That is what I got out of your responses and I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:45 PM, NikkiRae said:

One day when I don't have to deal with expensive children or if I find a really good deal, I am getting a 200 gallon tank

Understood. Long ago when I was in college, I had a young Arowana (I worked at an aquarium store). It is an amazing fish, so graceful yet so deadly. But it is a monster fish and needs a monster tank. On a positive note, you have great spot for the tank and years to plan it. One more suggestion, research DIY plywood tanks for that space. People do build huge tanks which are very strong and affordable. 

On 4/18/2024 at 5:45 PM, NikkiRae said:

plan the landscape which is actually pretty exciting. I might skip land dwellers

Designing/building a paludarium would be alot of fun! If I make one, I may also skip the land critters. I am nearing retirement and am concern about the time commitment with keeping amphibians. Anyways, good luck and I hope you start a journal on your build.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/18/2024 at 11:07 AM, madmark285 said:

A paludarium would be alot of fun to build!!! The forum PlantedTank may be helpful. 

I agree with that instead of risking that big tank breaking with fish in it, it might  ruin your life 😂. But whatever you decide @NikkiRae, plz tell us the out come if u will! Good luck! Repairing the glass isn’t a bad idea, I say go for either one, took me a while to respond because I had to read everything to make sure I am not talking about something COMPLETELY different lol

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1