So I have a pet bass now....

Caught this little large mouth bass with a net in my back yard!

Screenshot_20240416-075922_Gallery.jpg.87929641779a392c6201c70bb68313c0.jpg

Currently about 1 inch long and have him in my 5 gal tank.

(BTW, his name is Boomy)

Here's a video of him on my youtube channel JS Fish Tanks 

Any feeding ideas?

I tried frozen blood worms but he wasn't interested. I dont think hes big enough for feeder guppys yet.

Edited by JS Fish
  • Love 2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:13 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Wow, you could feed him some small insects, algae, shrimp, and bloodworms, and they also can be taught to eat flakes or pellets. That’s what I have read. @JS Fish, interesting he doesn’t like the blood worms 🤔

I'm thinking about some water bugs I see around the pond I got him from

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I caught some of the bugs. 

Screenshot_20240417-080714_Gallery.jpg.a3679f48c87bd1a8da1d8fd3ae3047ac.jpg

They like to swim close to the water surface and are hiding in the water spangle. The bass dosent seem interested in them.

That being said, they are a cool addition to my aquarium and fun to watch!

Edited by JS Fish
  • Like 1

You could use guppy fry. They should be small enough for him to eat, you could also use a different fry but guppy fry is easy to get if you already have guppies. You could also try Miskito larvae. BBS would probably be good to.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:36 AM, TJ _isme said:

You could use guppy fry. They should be small enough for him to eat, you could also use a different fry but guppy fry is easy to get if you already have guppies. You could also try Miskito larvae. BBS would probably be good to.

@TJ _isme

I unfortunately dont have any guppys.

What is BBS?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise. I definitely cant use cherry shrimp because I've been having problems with mine. Feeder shrimp might work but most are still to big. I wont be able to start hatching BBS for a couple weeks. My only options right now are very small feeder shrimp and feeder guppies.

On 5/3/2024 at 12:52 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks for the update @JS Fish, have you tried the BBS yet? Or has he grown a little bit since then….

He would go after them still but I wont be able to hatch them for another couple weeks

• Like 1

Have you considered scuds?  I know in nature Bass eat them. 

I’ve kept a scud culture for 6 months. They were reasonably priced and reproduce incredibly fast.

If you get a decent sized scud culture and give them a place to hid from Boomy they could live in his aquarium. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:21 PM, JMC said:

Have you considered scuds?  I know in nature Bass eat them. 

I’ve kept a scud culture for 6 months. They were reasonably priced and reproduce incredibly fast.

If you get a decent sized scud culture and give them a place to hid from Boomy they could live in his aquarium. 

I unfortunatly dont gave a way to get scuds

I am not sure what type of body of water you caught Boomy in your backyard, but the water has scuds or some other type of live food living in it that Boomy was living on. I’d start by netting up some leaves in the water and seeing what’s living on or under them. That’s how I started one of my scud cultures.
Good luck!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:07 AM, JMC said:

I am not sure what type of body of water you caught Boomy in your backyard, but the water has scuds or some other type of live food living in it that Boomy was living on. I’d start by netting up some leaves in the water and seeing what’s living on or under them. That’s how I started one of my scud cultures.
Good luck!

Ok, I'll try that, thanks!