What is on my fish?

oogabooga

On 6/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Colu said:

I have never used aqua soil a small change in pH wouldn't be anything to worry about as long as your KH isn't low  

Is 2 low like 2 is tap and it might lower it right?

On 6/29/2024 at 4:27 AM, Colu said:

I would add some crushed coral to the substrate or in the filter in a media bag that will gradually raise your KH 

I was wondering how would one sanitize equipment like my siphon from ntd AND fish tb(if it was there)

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 10:11 AM, oogabooga said:

I was wondering how would one sanitize equipment like my siphon from ntd AND fish tb(if it was there)

I would use a high dose of hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilise your siphon you can add  a small  pump to your siphon hose and  leave it running for 24hr in a bucket after 24hr hydrogen peroxide breaks down into H20 and oxygen than i would repeat this process a couple of time to be on the safe side then  clean everything with hot water 

Edited by Colu

On 7/4/2024 at 3:18 AM, Colu said:

I would use a high dose of hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilise your siphon you can add  a small  pump to your siphon hose and  leave it running for 24hr in a bucket after 24hr hydrogen peroxide breaks down into H20 and oxygen than i would repeat this process a couple of time to be on the safe side then  clean everything with hot water 

Ok thanks

On 7/4/2024 at 3:18 AM, Colu said:

Oh yes and also I have the fertilizer thrive c and I was wondering it says do a water change every week. I know this is not necessarily necessary but like using aquirium co ops page where they say water change when nitrates reach 40ppm would be fine? As long as I don't do more than the recommended dose per week.?

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 11:52 AM, oogabooga said:

Oh yes and also I have the fertilizer thrive c and I was wondering it says do a water change every week. I know this is not necessarily necessary but like using aquirium co ops page where they say water change when nitrates reach 40ppm would be fine? As long as I don't do more than the recommended dose per week.?

Usually weekly water changes with some fertiliser is prevent the nitrates getting to high I haven't used that fertilizer 

On 7/6/2024 at 1:18 PM, oogabooga said:

Additionally using beginer lvl plants they would be fine in non fertilized substrate as long as I dose liquid fertilizer and it would grow at the same rate?

That depends on the type of plant some are heavy root feeders like Amazon sword cypts vall others like anubias and javan fern and  floating plants take there nutrients from the water column 

Edited by Colu

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2024 at 8:32 AM, Colu said:

Usually weekly water changes with some fertiliser is prevent the nitrates getting to high I haven't used that fertilizer 

That depends on the type of plant some are heavy root feeders like Amazon sword cypts vall others like anubias and javan fern and  floating plants take there nutrients from the water column 

Ok because I don't want my substrate tampering with the water so u was thinking of fluvals flourite black gravel and I was wondering if thats would tear a bettas fins?? My last betta was constantly scraping himself on my old gravel

But I'm not going to lie im pretty intrigued by fluval stratum and I am worried about ph swings. My kh is 2 and ph is 7.2 so if I add it it would prob lower to 6.5 maybe and then what happens for a water change??

On 7/31/2024 at 6:13 AM, oogabooga said:

But I'm not going to lie im pretty intrigued by fluval stratum and I am worried about ph swings. My kh is 2 and ph is 7.2 so if I add it it would prob lower to 6.5 maybe and then what happens for a water change??

Fish can be fine with swings in pH as long as there not to drastic if your only doing a 20-25% water change a week for example the  pH would probably only change by 0.2 you fish would be fine with that you could add some crushed coral to the substrate to raise your KH so you get less of a drop in your pH 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 1:30 AM, Colu said:

Fish can be fine with swings in pH as long as there not to drastic if your only doing a 20-25% water change a week for example the  pH would probably only change by 0.2 you fish would be fine with that you could add some crushed coral to the substrate to raise your KH so you get less of a drop in your pH 

On 7/31/2024 at 1:30 AM, Colu said:

i cant get crushed coral easily so im going to take your word and trust you

On 7/31/2024 at 6:05 PM, oogabooga said:

like its what most people do right??

and i could use baking soda ig? or i have ph down from a long tima ago

I don't use pH up or baking soda I find your constantly trying to get that prefect ph with these products I use crushed coral or crushed Oyster shell's is what I have used in all my tanks just to raise the KH enough so i don't get drastic swings in pH  my tap water has zero KH and GH 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 3:26 PM, Colu said:

I don't use pH up or baking soda I find your constantly trying to get that prefect ph with these products I use crushed coral or crushed Oyster shell's is what I have used in all my tanks just to raise the KH enough so i don't get drastic swings in pH  my tap water has zero KH and GH 

Ok I'm just worried about messing up with a new substrate ill try to relax because it doesn't help at all. I have got to ask do you think fluval stratum is fine for first plant tanks??

On 8/1/2024 at 12:47 AM, oogabooga said:

Ok I'm just worried about messing up with a new substrate ill try to relax because it doesn't help at all. I have got to ask do you think fluval stratum is fine for first plant tanks??

I have never used it  so I can't say how good it is for planted tanks maybe someone else can chip in 

Edited by Colu

On 7/31/2024 at 5:26 PM, Colu said:

I have never used it  so I can't say how good it is for planted tanks maybe someone else can chip in 

Are the needle i used to measure tank water and the seachem flourish i put the needle in safe to use in a different tank??

On 8/1/2024 at 2:07 PM, Colu said:

I disinfect my bucket by filling them with water add a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a couple of hours it turns into H20 and oxygen than I give a clean and rise with dechlorinated water @oogabooga

How much hydrogen. Peroxide and can I rinse with regular water?? Any water that will be going into a tank from the bucket will be dechlorinated anyway.

On 8/2/2024 at 12:20 AM, oogabooga said:

How much hydrogen. Peroxide and can I rinse with regular water?? Any water that will be going into a tank from the bucket will be dechlorinated anyway.

You can Rinse it out with tap water I use 3mls per gallon when sterilising nets and buckets you can use a higher dose 

On 8/1/2024 at 5:51 PM, Colu said:

You can Rinse it out with tap water I use 3mls per gallon when sterilising nets and buckets you can use a higher dose 

So I think I'll put the equipment in the tank and fill with water and do the same for the buckets then put 4mls of hydrogen peroxide and run the filter to dispers the chemical then what??