Gup’s New Fishroom Build

On 7/8/2024 at 1:55 PM, JoeQ said:

Is that a portable drain? 

Sort of. It’s a pond pump. 
I used to run 2 of these one clean water in one dirty water out since it was across flat surface to the bathtub drain. 1B0428A4-3943-4B01-A2D8-FCD09C0150A3.png.162c69f1774a340ec0d07a8538dbeed0.png
moving downstairs I upgraded from a dirty water bucket to a tub and I need I pump water up to a utility sink so I upgraded to this. The hose it standard pond tubing. 

D7007AAD-A37B-4480-AE76-6C5C09D02503.png
The pvc drain hook I made so it drains to perfect depth.  I used vinyl tubing from ace hardware

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 3:21 PM, Guppysnail said:

Amazon. Deal days are coming up July 16-17. Usually vivosun pumps are on good sale. That’s when I bought mine. 

The price isn't the issue, hiding it from the fish tank gestapo is!

Edited by JoeQ
  • Haha 3

On 7/8/2024 at 3:26 PM, JoeQ said:

The price isn't the issue, hiding it from the fish tank gestapo is!

I promised hubby no more water slopped on the floor from sloshy buckets being hauled about 😇 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

On 7/8/2024 at 3:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

I promised hubby no more water slopped on the floor from sloshy buckets being hauled about 😇 🤣🤣🤣

I was just read the riot act about all my tubes laying around and running all throughout the house yesterday!! 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

On 7/8/2024 at 4:14 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve had trouble with the metal tab inside rusting around the tanks

I don’t think mine contain metal at all. They look like this:

IMG_8101.jpeg.e1d780ff1df785b4dc6ab78f05562825.jpeg

On 7/8/2024 at 4:14 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yellow for lights, blue for air pumps, red for heaters, green for filters

I love the color coding idea! I’m using bread bag tags and I label them with a sharpie.

IMG_8102.jpeg

On 7/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, Guppysnail said:

I upgraded from a dirty water bucket to a tub and I need I pump water up to a utility sink

Do you pump to the tub first just in case you suck up a fish/shrimp/snail?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 3:54 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do you pump to the tub first just in case you suck up a fish/shrimp/snail?

I don’t like putting the actual pump in the tank. I have so many fry in community tanks it’s not safe even if I put it in a mesh bag. I’ve tried micron mesh but they do t work well. Also dragging a pump that is coated in sucked up detritus from one tank to another is to risky of cross contamination in case anything ever broke out. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 2:54 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I don’t think mine contain metal at all. They look like this:

I’ve seen them a couple ways but these look different than what I’ve used in the past.  It has been a good while since I tried them since I’ve been using the Velcro cable ties.

Is there not a metal pin as a hinge / pivot point (kind of like an antique watch band pin)?  I can see there’s no metal tab like the first ones that came out had.  Those rusted like mad!  😝 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 11:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

Is there not a metal pin as a hinge / pivot point

No. These are not like the original. It’s more of a plastic tab that depresses to create just enough space they release. These are infinitely harder to release than the originals.  Once they wear a bit or if they are to warm the tab bends rather than release. My hubbys large fingers cannot release them and if I’m doing any amount of them I always have to cut my thumb nail short in order get them released otherwise my nail bends before the tab releases. 

• Like 2

2 more tanks down. 
The ram tank is complete698B925E-DA2E-4F63-8873-790123E5B590.jpeg.8a85cbc6b11ed39056222c47e0582d0e.jpeg

I upgraded the hastatus to a 20 long since they are breeding so well. I still need to cut the light grid and put the rest of my emergent plants in. Light is temporary real light and emergent light will be here Thursday.  🎉prime deal days 🤣

DEAB36C0-C173-49BA-82C9-C977A4A10BD4.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/16/2024 at 4:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

🎉prime deal days 🤣

I’m a hermit on prime day. If you need me I’ll be at the computer. Give me alllllll the deals!😂😂

It’s looking amazing! You are a trooper for doing all of that. Moving that many tanks down stairs sounds like a lot of work! But I’m sure it will be well worth it in the end 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2024 at 11:33 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I’m a hermit on prime day. If you need me I’ll be at the computer. Give me alllllll the deals!😂😂

Hi. My name is Kerry.  I’m a Prime Deal Day addict with no hope of recovery.  🤣

• Haha 3

On 7/23/2024 at 7:58 AM, Guppysnail said:

Hi. My name is Kerry.  I’m a Prime Deal Day addict with no hope of recovery.  🤣

Your looking at someone who is the SAME way. When prime day comes, i look at EVERYTHING FISH!!!! That is need that is 🤣 

I would like to add, that the tanks look beautiful !!! @Guppysnail

• Thanks 1

ALL TANKS ARE DOWN 🎉 

Still a lot to do some tanks still dry. Need to order another emergent light and sink light. Need to put emergent lights and lids on lower tanks as well as hang many many feet of pothos vines.  
A bunch of exciting new arrivals and more exciting new arrivals coming Saturday.  
Still a disaster and my two upstairs disasters(rooms) I think I’ll just brick shut and condemn 🤣

• Love 7

On 7/31/2024 at 11:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

Can you come help me with my fish room next?  

When my old bones recover and I can move again in a few years I would be happy to 🤣

I really pushed myself physically every single day.  Once I passed the time point of things needing water changes both upstairs and downstairs it was untenable.  

Several tanks went too long without water changes. Thankfully my emergent jungles kept the tanks in check.  There were days I was exhausted and done but would note a tank upstairs starting to have a major hair algae bloom and the water tinting.  So rather than actually try to do a water change to buy time I would bite the bullet and move it.  That caused me less work in the long run but my body explained to me very loudly it was not pleased with my choice.

When upstairs it would take an hour if I needed to change just my 40.  To get out the hose, run it through the house, get out the clean water bin, fill the bin set it up. Get my dirty bin, run the drain hoses through the house, stand and hold my siphon hose and then clean up the whole ordeal.

Now I’m set.  It took 15 minutes from the thought of I need to do a water change to completely done.  The fabulous part is I did not stand there. I set the process in motion and worked on other tanks while it did its thing.  

IT IS SOOOO WORTH  IT 🎉

On 8/1/2024 at 5:24 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

We now know the extent of Guppysnail’s MTS.

As I moved things hubby asked why I was adding so many tanks.  At that time no tanks had been added. Chaos hides the hording 🤣 I only added 4 extra grow out tanks total.

Though I have room to add many more I do not want to.  I always want this to be a fun relaxing hobby, not a job.  I want to have days where I only have to sit and watch my fish. 

• Love 3

On 8/1/2024 at 7:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

Chaos hides the hording 🤣

Truth!  I’m so glad you’ve made so much progress.  Hopefully you’re down to the tidying up stages only?  There’s always that last bit of organizing after a huge project like yours.  At least you might have light at the end of your tunnel, it seems.

I just need to start digging deeper.  I know the toll it’s going to take on me and my body already aches in anticipation of the pain.  😝 😆 😂   I wish I had at least one space that was ready, but I have to redo this room so I can redo the other room, then I can finally redo the next room so I can finish redoing the first room.  🤦🏻‍♀️   My mountain is not improving and I ain’t no spring chicken anymore!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1