What's wrong with my platy? Please help

Sheargrub

This morning I noticed that my blue wag platy has her fins clamped together, and she's hunched over. Her overall posture looks deformed and I'm not sure what happened to her. Usually she can be seen swimming around and eating algae off the plants, decor, etc., but she hasn't been moving a whole lot today. She still comes up to the front of the tank when I approach it, but she seems tired and drained. She ate yesterday and she seemed to be acting normal, so I don't understand why she's changed so much in such a sort amount of time.

Some extra information:

- Ammonia is at 0, Nitrites are at 0, and Nitrates are at 25 ppm

- As far as I know, she's the "alpha" of the tank and the other platies don't bully her, so I don't think that's the cause of her issue

- The other fish are active and behaving normally

- I recently medicated the tank with API General Cure for skin and gill flukes on another fish, who made a full recovery

IMG_20240406_094745~2.jpg

My first question is do you know how old she is. Doesn’t sound like a water issue. If she’s the alpha. She may just be aging. I lost one of my oldest males last week. He clamped up. Nobody else did. There’s 30 in with him. All ages. He was over 2 I believe. So maybe nothing can be done. That said. If you want. You could try a treatment of maracyn2. Maybe there is something there. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, Tony s said:

My first question is do you know how old she is. Doesn’t sound like a water issue. If she’s the alpha. She may just be aging. I lost one of my oldest males last week. He clamped up. Nobody else did. There’s 30 in with him. All ages. He was over 2 I believe. So maybe nothing can be done. That said. If you want. You could try a treatment of maracyn2. Maybe there is something there. 

I'm not sure how old she is. I think she was at her max size when I got her, which was 1 month ago.

She's at the bottom of the tank now, barely moving but still alive

Yeah. Unfortunately that’s how they go. And not knowing the age or prior tank conditions. This might be the end. Especially if she has tank mates that are unaffected 😪

If anyone else starts showing symptoms. Definitely would treat with maracyn2 or even erythromycin at this point 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:42 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah. Unfortunately that’s how they go. And not knowing the age or prior tank conditions. This might be the end. Especially if she has tank mates that are unaffected 😪

If anyone else starts showing symptoms. Definitely would treat with maracyn2 or even erythromycin at this point 

Oh I see.. Well, I'll definitely buy some medication for them just in case. Thank you for your input

Sorry to hear about your fish. Can you post a clearer photo so we can make a better assessment. Do you use aquarium salt? If your treating for parasitic diseases, I would also treat for fungal and bacterial infection.  

Here you go. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 2:22 PM, Wisdom said:

Sorry to hear about your fish. Can you post a clearer photo so we can make a better assessment. Do you use aquarium salt? If your treating for parasitic diseases, I would also treat for fungal and bacterial infection.  

Here you go. 

I'm not able to get a decent photo since she's resting on the bottom of the tank (still alive). But here you go anyway. Also no, I don't use aquarium salt.

Thanks for the video, I appreciate it.

IMG_20240406_145712.jpg