Live foods

Mr.catfish

So i want to breed my corydoras but i want to use live food's to condition them so any live food's i can find in my garden because buying them is to expensive to buy a starter culture. I know the risk i just want to know.

Also i want to know other live foods than baby brine shrimp to feed to my fish without a starter culture.

I’ve seen that others are culturing mosquito larvae to use as live food. There’s several tutorials on how to do this on YouTube. Seems like it would be easy… and free source of live food for you 😁

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 5:24 PM, FLFishChik said:

I’ve seen that others are culturing mosquito larvae to use as live food. There’s several tutorials on how to do this on YouTube. Seems like it would be easy… and free source of live food for you 😁

Tiny baby corys might struggle to eat a mosquito larvae.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:44 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Tiny baby corys might struggle to eat a mosquito larvae.

They mentioned live foods for conditioning the adults for breeding. I missed where they asked for live foods to feed fry.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:15 PM, FLFishChik said:

LOL.. it's late.. and if your like me... my brain stops working properly after 8pm 😂.

Yep, trying to watch basketball and think about fish at the same time is difficult lol.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're feeling adventurous and the local laws allow it, you can likely find some kind of daphnia in any healthy body of freshwater.  Just bring a net and bucket. And maybe be prepared keep it separated for a while as you watch for unexpected hitchhikers.

Try conditioning them without live foods and see if that works. Mine spawn a few times a week just eating things like Hikari Vibra Bites, black worm pellets, freeze dried tubifex worms, Northfin Bug Pro, etc. I make a mix in out of this and feed it 2x a day.

I think the key is quality foods, not necessarily live. But yeah, you can't go wring with live foods.

I feed the fry BBS and, as they get a little bigger, grindal worms, eventually switching them to flake. So, no real recommendations on what is good that can be harvested from nature. But a good, quality flake food, crushed up, will work as well.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

Corys are bottom feeders so you're pretty much limited to live worms (tubifex, blackworms, etc.) If you want something from your garden, you could go to a swamp or stream nearby and grab a bucket of mud. Transfer the mud to a small pool in your backyard and you should have an easy, native culture of whatever is native to your area. Separating the food from the mud will be a challenge though. Frozen food or a good quality dry food are the easiest/safest options. 

On 4/16/2024 at 8:00 AM, gardenman said:

Frozen food or a good quality dry food are the easiest/safest options.

And they will work fine without the hassle of harvesting from nature.

Edited by tolstoy21

• 2 weeks later...

Mine got fat and started spawning because of the Grindal worms that got past the Glowlight Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras I was conditioning for spawning. Feed lots, they'll get them all! Grindals are so easy to breed and no stink (I feed my Grindals a mix of rice baby food & spirulina powder and then Mazuri gel food for Omnivores). Every year the used dirt/coconut coir/coral sand mix goes into my herb and vegetable planters and I mix up another batch. All my tanks get the extra Grindals weekly for snacks - overpopulation is the enemy with them.

Have your baby cory food ready for when the fry show up! 😊