Why do my mollies keep dying?

On 3/29/2024 at 12:29 AM, Henry the fish keeper said:

LOVE mollies but sadly everytime I bring them home they don't do very well and end up dying.

Here are my water parameters:

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0-20 ppm

KH: 40 ppm

GH: 180 ppm

Chlorine: 0

Are you buying the Molly's from the same lfs?

On 3/29/2024 at 12:55 AM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Not really, I have a swordtail in there along with some guppies.

If the swordtail and guppies are healthy and eating well I personally would try another lfs. Quarantine before adding them to your main aquarium. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:46 AM, Tlindsey said:

Are you buying the Molly's from the same lfs?

Same question, but different. @Henry the fish keeper is it a big box store?  Sometimes they get some issues in their water systems that can cause issues with fish. Seems to be guppies, mollies, and neons most affected 

• Like 2

Mollies like hard water  Your KH is on the low side for mollies they do best with a KH of 180- 280ppm from what I have read low KH can cause a lot of health issues with liverbears I would raise your KH you can  add crushed coral to the substrate or in media bag  in your filter you would have to add one pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons @Henry the fish keeper

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 10:33 PM, Tony s said:

Same question, but different. @Henry the fish keeper is it a big box store?  Sometimes they get some issues in their water systems that can cause issues with fish. Seems to be guppies, mollies, and neons most affected 

Sorry for the late response, I sometimes get my mollies from a big box store which maybe could explain why they keep dying?

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 7:57 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Sorry for the late response, I sometimes get my mollies from a big box store which maybe could explain why they keep dying?

Possibly. Big box can be okay. But sometimes not. They do tend to have more problems than a lfs. I’d be very careful about which stores to buy from. Look around and see if you see dead fish. Observe the mollies closely. Make sure they don’t have the death shimmies. Just be very aware of the current conditions. I have gone in before wanting a certain fish. Spent some time looking around. Gone home without. You can usually tell if something is off

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big box store mollies always have problems. I've been playing with mollies for a little bit now and from what I observe they always have parasites from the big box stores.  Always quarantine them. Have your water liquid rock and try to focus on raising their babies rather than the parents. They will be way more heathy grown in your tank. They will live way longer also.