Hello from new hoping to stay lol

I am originally from Oklahoma, and through a network of military moved and following my late husbands path back to his birth place, I now live on the boarder in Del Rio TX. I would have never guessed I would make a desert my forever home lol. I accidentally got into fish breeding in my late 20s when I got a tank and two female Molly's. When they both gave birth, which shocked me so badly I had to call my mother in law who was a lot more educated on fish, I hit the library. We didn't have Google yet. I had somehow chosen the only known fish who can clone itself when in a same sex environment. That was enough to hook me. I stopped when we had an ice storm that left us without power for weeks. Seeing my work and the animals I loved literally freeze kind of killed it for me. I chose to try again, in my 50s 🤦, when my Widow project mentor suggested a relook at a beloved hobby that I had abandoned. That happens a lot with military caregivers. So I bought a tank and tried blue Micky mouse platys, coupled with the beautiful blue to leopard ramshorn snails that would change my outlook on everything. And that brings me to my current place... wonder, bewilderment, and deep scientific research because those little buggers defy genetics, laws of nature and everything else lol. I am learning plants and natural balances and am proud to say that my green thumb works underwater as well as out. I have no clue what I am doing and my plants are thriving. I needed the booster after succulents kicked my hand end. How can I be successful with delicate orchids but the plants that are ment to be neglected die? 🤷

And I have one deep question, blanket algae...why? What was God thinking? 

IMG_20240122_214630430~2.jpg

IMG_20240124_171958998~2.jpg

IMG_20240319_050210757.jpg

IMG_20240314_034610434~2.jpg

IMG_20240314_042612836~2.jpg

IMG_20240326_004651682~3.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 9:06 PM, Twoshaytx said:

And I have one deep question, blanket algae...why? What was God thinking? 

I agree whole heartedly! Welcome the forums I am excited to see you around and hear about your ramshorn snail projects

On 3/29/2024 at 1:40 AM, Twoshaytx said:

Thank you lol, and please forgive me, I am at times scatterbrained and unpredictable. I'm still getting the hang of being social 

Then you’ll fit in just fine. Lots of us here have social anxiety issues.in some ways, it’s easier here 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:06 AM, Twoshaytx said:

he only known fish who can clone itself

Welcome to the forum....and thank you for giving me a facinating little rabbit hole to explore with my morning coffee.  Very interesting!  This forum is filled with interesting people and ideas.  And kindness.  Enjoy.

I just noticed you’re in Texas, Howdy and welcome to the forum.  You’re only 6.5 hours away from me.  😆  I also see both gold and ivory ramshorns in your pics.  What would be the chances of you shipping some of each color to me?  Or maybe you’re planning a trip to DFW for the eclipse?  😉 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:57 PM, Tropical Fish Gallery said:

rich green almost slimy algae (technically Cyanobacteria)

@Twoshaytx the question becomes. if you handle it, is it soft and slimy and stinks. Cyanobacteria. or does it feel harder and stringy. hair algae. or is it just on the surfaces. green or brown. either green spot or brown algae.  we can help with some remedies

Edited by Tony s