Algae identify

I have a no CO2 tank. This algae is all on my walls and does scape off with a razor scraper. Is this Green Dust or Green Spot algae? Is it good to scape it off since it seems to go all over all though my HOB filters go seem to clean it up fairly quickly?

IMG_3504[2955].JPG

IMG_3505[2953].JPG

IMG_3506[2957].JPG

I would just scrape it down and let the hob do its job. Possibly gravel vac and water change at same time. Then give it a couple of hours and rinse out your filter cartridge. And reuse. I believe green spot is harder to get off than green dust. I usually just clean and don’t worry what type 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

Green spot tends to be hard to scrape off and requires a bit of umph; green dust (i think that is what it is called) is fairly soft and can easily be wiped off without much effort. 

I believe green spot is caused by low phosphate and not sure about green dust.

• Like 1

Without question and by a longshot, I have experienced the most success at controlling algae by following techniques and practices I have read on the 2 hr aquarist.

and that is without making any purchase of their products.

That doesnt mean I think their products are not worthwhile, just that the practices alone have brought me significant success.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/algae-control/how-to-control-green-spot-algae