What is wrong with my betta?

NickD

We need your parameter numbers. Ammonia nitrate nitrite. Ph. Gh. Kh 

but I can see right off the bat she has popeye. So getting him really clean water is very important. 

if you can get ahold of kanaplex or maracyn2 I’d run a full course or that right away paying special care to the instructions. She may have been injured as well. But I’d try the meds first anyway 

• Like 2

I would also add some Indian almond leaves as well as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will help reduce fluid buildup in the eye 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 2:30 PM, NickD said:

just started this aquarium (10 gallons) and there is algae starting to grow

That’s great but we (and you) need to know the ammonia nitrate and nitrite numbers. Algae will grow in any of these. But the fish can’t be grown with ammonia or nitrite. And high nitrate causes issues. Poor water parameters will cause things like popeye, bloat, ich outbreaks, and finrot 

im hoping you have a cycled tank and used bacteria to help 

I’ve overheard the box stores saying that all you need is water changes. That’s actually true. Harder to do of course. And you need to dechlorinate every water change. Cycling is much easier 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 6:30 PM, NickD said:

@Tony si just started this aquarium (10 gallons) and there is algae starting to grow 

@Coluthank god I have aquarium salt, I’ve never used it though. Will it actually help?

@Whitecloud09where can u get these chemicals 

Aquarium salt will treat external bacterial infections and fungal infections it will help to reduce the swelling in the eye 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:13 PM, NickD said:

Should I add salt everyday?

no, just the once. you can add more salt when doing a water change, but only for the water you take out. if you take out 3 gallon, only add enough salt for those 3 gallon. salt doesn't evaporate. if you only do top offs just add straight water, no salt

• Like 1