Ammonia spike HELP!

On 5/6/2024 at 8:34 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

My ph is at 7.6, could this be a problem as I read this 

Ammonia is more toxic at higher temperatures and pH levels above 7.0, and less harmful at lower temperatures and pH levels below 7.0.

What temperature do you keep your tank at.  Don't laugh at me I run no heater because I keep my house warm enough for the fish.  That can impact some of your issues, but let's just try using a dechlorinator that treats ammonia also I forget which one I started using back when I was on municipal water.  It was the same price.  It could be the bucket leaching the ammonia from the plastic all sorts of things if the usual suspects are negative 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:41 AM, johnnyxxl said:

What temperature do you keep your tank at.  Don't laugh at me I run no heater because I keep my house warm enough for the fish.  That can impact some of your issues, but let's just try using a dechlorinator that treats ammonia also I forget which one I started using back when I was on municipal water.  It was the same price.  It could be the bucket leaching the ammonia from the plastic all sorts of things if the usual suspects are negative 

Maybe, my temp is 2 consistently. I have no heater too. Might be my jugs, it used to have distilled water in them. @johnnyxxl. Thanks for responding 

On 5/6/2024 at 8:18 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Tony s, @johnnyxxl, @macdaddy36, I feel so discouraged 😔. The ammonia in tap is 0. After letting it sit overnight as mentioned, It hasn’t budged and is very close to 1 ppm ammonia, after I checked it just like a minute ago, how is this happening? Please can someone help me and throw out  ideas? I feel super discouraged as it has been forever….

Interesting, I just read this, 

High Ammonia is caused by: Inadequate biological filtration (damaged or immature 'New Tank Syndrome) Over stocking. Over feeding

Could my cartridge be like that since I changed it? I added bacteria (dr Tim’s one and only) yesterday after my water change. 

How often are you changing your cartridge? Do you have media other than the cartridge?

with 1ppm ammonia, I would expect the fish to show some symptoms of ammonia burn, etc. Are you seeing any?

If you have 1ppm do an urgent large (at least 70%) water change and stop feeding for a few days.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:41 AM, johnnyxxl said:

Don't laugh at me I run no heater because I keep my house warm enough for the fish

Actually, this is a really common way to heat fish rooms. Especially for people with a ton of tanks. Imagine the heating costs of running 20 plus tanks. Usually it’s done with on a by room basis though. But in the summer I do keep my house around 78 degrees with ceiling fans. I’m usually outside though. And when I do come in I freeze if the temperature is set too low. Set at 76 right now. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 9:21 AM, macdaddy36 said:

How often are you changing your cartridge? Do you have media other than the cartridge?

with 1ppm ammonia, I would expect the fish to show some symptoms of ammonia burn, etc. Are you seeing any?

If you have 1ppm do an urgent large (at least 70%) water change and stop feeding for a few days.

Nope, no signs

Edited by Whitecloud09

Next time you replace a cartridge, do it with 10 or 20ppi foam, and don't replace that foam ever again.

In a small tank like that, replacing a filter cartridge is likely a significant source of disruption to the bacterial colony. Just use foam instead, and while you can clean it (squeeze it a couple times in old water, that's it) never, ever replace it.

• Like 4

And you’re taking water straight from the tap and not aging it, right. 

what kind of substrate? I have 3 tanks with the colored gravel still. And am not having these issues. I think we’ve covered most of this about 6 times now.

you use api master test. I’m wondering if getting some coop ammonia tests would help get us a backup number 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 9:44 AM, Tony s said:

what kind of substrate? I have 3 tanks with the colored gravel still. And am not having these issues. I think we’ve covered most of this about 6 times now.

you use api master test. I’m wondering if getting some coop ammonia tests would help get us a backup number 

Correct, my gravel is normal colored premium gravel. 

On 5/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, AndEEss said:

Next time you replace a cartridge, do it with 10 or 20ppi foam, and don't replace that foam ever again.

In a small tank like that, replacing a filter cartridge is likely a significant source of disruption to the bacterial colony. Just use foam instead, and while you can clean it (squeeze it a couple times in old water, that's it) never, ever replace it.

Where could I get this? Amazon? I will 100% rather buy that. I also bought more nitrifying bacteria. Dr Tim’s. Thanks for the info @AndEEss

On 5/6/2024 at 2:16 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Where could I get this? Amazon? I will 100% rather buy that. I also bought more nitrifying bacteria. Dr Tim’s. Thanks for the info @AndEEss

The filter sponge you can get Amazon, Temu some of the aquarium vendors also sell it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 9:44 AM, Tony s said:

I think we’ve covered most of this about 6 times now.

Yes, and yeah ik. I just have NO clue why this is happening, I have a idea of what it could be possibly. 
1. Rotting plants

2. The dead fish a while back

3. Overfeeding (I actually now looking back a couple months ago was doing this.)

4. Changing cartridge and killing some of the bacteria. (Most likely not the case.) 

And yeah. Corys vid is super helpful btw. I will do a daily 50% change + no feeding for a week and test.

Personally, I’d toss those cartridges and invest in either modifying the hob you have or just toss a sponge filter in there. With the money you’re spending on Dr Tim’s, you could have invested in a permanent solution. Those cartridges are the biggest scam in the industry. Well, betta water is up there too. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2024 at 2:23 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yes, and yeah ik. I just have NO clue why this is happening, I have a idea of what it could be possibly. 
1. Rotting plants

2. The dead fish a while back

3. Overfeeding (I actually now looking back a couple months ago was doing this.)

4. Changing cartridge and killing some of the bacteria. (Most likely not the case.) 

And yeah. Corys vid is super helpful btw. I will do a daily 50% change + no feeding for a week and test.

4. is actually the most likely. All the other would have only caused a very temporary spike.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 2:45 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Personally, I’d toss those cartridges and invest in either modifying the hob you have or just toss a sponge filter in there. With the money you’re spending on Dr Tim’s, you could have invested in a permanent solution. Those cartridges are the biggest scam in the industry. Well, betta water is up there too. 

I don’t mean dr Tim’s cartridges if that is what you saying, I was talking about bacteria but… ok I will get those sponge cartridges @AndEEss mentioned. Thanks 

On 5/6/2024 at 2:46 PM, macdaddy36 said:

4. is actually the most likely. All the other would have only caused a very temporary spike.

I had a slight thought that the most unlikely is the most likely…..thanks I will try to build up the filter.

Posted (edited)

I also use prime to condition the water, the reason on doing 2 today is becuase i think i might need to to a bigger change then what i did, to even put a dent in 1 ammonia. Can anybody give me a link to amazon for the right catridge? @johnnyxxl? @AndEEss? @mynameisnobody? please. I could not find it. The one u dont replace but only clean, thx.

ps: somebody just gave a link, never mind.

Edited by Whitecloud09
added info

On 5/6/2024 at 2:16 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

You put the new in with the old for a week or so.

• Like 3

Look up “coarse filter foam” on amazon

Look for ones where its kind of transparent in the pictures.

On 5/6/2024 at 4:35 PM, johnnyxxl said:

You put the new in with the old for a week or so.

Super important^

• Like 1

What filter and size is that? It looks like a seachem tidal with that blue knob? But the intake is on the wrong side. Never did see what your water temp is. TEMP+Ph will tell you how toxic your ammonia is. Below is a very good read on how all this works. You still want to shoot for a reading of 0 ammonia 0 nitrItes and water change at 20 nitrAtes. I keep my nitrAtes below 10 but I have no plants. 

your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity.159994

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:57 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

What filter and size is that? It looks like a seachem tidal with that blue knob? But the intake is on the wrong side. Never did see what your water temp is. TEMP+Ph will tell you how toxic your ammonia is. Below is a very good read on how all this works. You still want to shoot for a reading of 0 ammonia 0 nitrItes and water change at 20 nitrAtes. I keep my nitrAtes below 10 but I have no plants. 

My temp is 72 consistently. Ph, last time I checked = yesterday was 7.5. My water is super soft too, yes ik, nitrates are 15. Nitrite has not shown up once  since my fishless cycle a while back. @Airborne 82nd. @macdaddy36 and @johnnyxxl, got it, will order it ASAP. thx

I have grey algae on my micro sword and I read this online.

What is the GREY algae in my fish tank?

Staghorn Algae

You can identify this type of algae because it branches like deer antlers in stringy branched formations and is grayish green or grayish purple in color. They thrive in unstable environments and can be an indicator of a reduction in necessary tank maintenance.

Also is because ammonia is present. 

My ammonia dropped .50 ppm. I did a 50% change today and clean the glass. That’s my mini update everyone, my dr Tim’s bacteria is arriving tomorrow. Going to order the cartridge tomorrow. I will show pictures of my plants tomorrow morning.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:57 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

A topfin power 10 filter.

• Like 1