Test strips bleeding/inconsistent color

I have been using Aquarium Coop test strips for a while now and recently started my third or fourth container of the 200 pack, and I notice both the packaging and the strips are slightly different.

For example, you can see in one of the pictures comparing the strip to the bottle, the 6.4 and 6.8 boxes for pH don't have the black outline. That's a minor thing of course, but I also notice these strips seem to "bleed" for lack of a better term a lot more. I don't have this problem every single time I test, so I don't know if it's some condition of my water or just duds in the package. Any idea what it is and how I should interpret the results? For context, the picture showing multiple strips are for new outdoor tubs I am setting up that are still cycling, but the other two are from tanks that are mature (~1-2+ years old).

ETA: In case you're wondering, at least one these pictures was taken at the 1 minute mark, the other two possibly 2 or even 3 minutes. However, my previous test strips often stayed consistent in color up to the point of drying.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by PluckyD
Add note about when pics taken

On 3/22/2024 at 4:42 PM, PluckyD said:

but I also notice these strips seem to "bleed" for lack of a better term a lot more

Mine do that quite often, usually with the gh and kh parts. i just chuck em and get another. but a hole batch would be unacceptable

• Like 2

I can’t tell from looking, but are you fully dipping the strip for the recommended time, gently tapping off the extra water sideways onto a paper towel (so water doesn’t run from one test pad to another) or similar, then laying flat?  If you dot water onto the test pads with a pipette it can cause the central spotting like I see on some of your test strips.  And if you leave too much water on the test pads it can cause the bleeding / blurring effect I see on other test spots.  If neither of those are being done and you’re doing exactly as the first sentence, then definitely call ACO and discuss it with them.

• Like 1

This is the process I use.  If you still get bleed over, than there is likely a problem with the strips:  After dipping, be sure that the strip remains horizontal with the pads facing you.  Place the strip flat on a paper towel for the required time.  The towel will wick away excess water.

How new are your strips?  My newest bottle is identical to the previous one; and there is no way to tell age or expiration. 

Edited by Tanked
typo
  • Like 2

Thanks for additional ideas, but I am basically following the directions as I have done for the hundreds of Aquarium Coop strips I've used before my current bottle. The bottle is less than a month old. I am mostly curious if anyone else has had a problem with strips they've received in the past month or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it is a batch issue.  Mine bleed in the KH and PH area as well.  Could we have an Admin weigh in on this issue?  There are a lot of us that have this issue and it would be good to know if they are looking into it.

• Thanks 1

For me, the bleeding always occurs when I dip the strip into a section of water that has any oily biofilm on the surface.  It seems to coat the strip and when I pull it out all pads are smeary. I tested this tonight by intentionally dipping in between some floating plants where the water is still. Confirmed greasy test strip. 

• Like 1