Help identifying possible disease white cloud mountain minnows

ScaperGirl

Hi all, I recently added 12 white cloud mountain minnows to one of my fully cycled tanks (it also has a few corys which are fine). From day 1 a few of the white clouds have a white spot on their lower jaw. The spots haven’t changed or grown since adding them to the tank 10 days ago and they are active and feeding well. Should I use the wait and see approach here, I don’t want to net them into a quarantine tank and cause stress unless absolutely necessary. Could this be columnaris if there haven’t been any changes in the spots or deaths? The spot sometimes looks like it is even just part of their jaw but not all of the fish have it.

Tank is  22L, ammonia 0 - nitrite 0 - nitrate 5, pH 7.5, temp 73F

IMG_6303.jpeg.21eca6aad621418d7e0a2fe4f949d121.jpegIMG_6305.jpeg.8b170dbdb2c0de1e17e2d646e178ffc4.jpegIMG_6302.jpeg.12696050aeec24df9de585ded7f5dd82.jpeg

Could be a snout chondroma that's caused by neon tetra disease he's a picture for comparison or it could be a cyst if it were a cyst you would  want to treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallon at that level most plants are fine @ScaperGirl

1000000032.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi! I just saw another member post this question. I believe those white spots are markings in male WCMM. Mine have it too, and the other members' WCMM had it too. It can't be that we all have WCMM with the same disease.

IMG20240605180050.jpg

IMG20240605175922.jpg

• Love 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:28 PM, shawnkissed said:

Hi! I just saw another member post this question. I believe those white spots are markings in male WCMM. Mine have it too, and the other members' WCMM had it too. It can't be that we all have WCMM with the same disease.

IMG20240605180050.jpg

IMG20240605175922.jpg

Yes I think it is just marking, my females do not have it! Thanks again @shawnkissed! So helpful.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 5:09 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

@ScaperGirlwhat are you feeding those white clouds?! They look stunning! Their colors are amazing!

Thanks! I feed a mix between frozen bbs and bloodworms and Xtreme pellets and flakes. But I think these are just a really good line - got them from Dan’s fish 😉 The small bumps went away on my fish and never came back so maybe it was just a bit of an injury 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by ScaperGirl
  • Love 1