Loach came with Lump

pancake

• Using strips, so it's ranges.
  • pH 8 ish
  • Nitrates between 0-10 (looks like maybe a 2)
  • Hardness hard (20dgh)
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer hard
  • Water Temperature  looks like 76-78 F for right now, I plan on lowering it to 75 later

• Tank is cycled and housed a Betta for a while. Brown particles are from leaves.

I picked up 6 Kuhli loaches yesterday from a lfs I discovered. The guy who was selling them said these were pretty hardy and are use to the local water, and his he kept at home in tap lived a long time, so I thought I'd give them a try.

They seem fine but one of them came with one little lump. The loach still eats and acts like a loach, but I thought I'd ask for thoughts on it here on what it could be or what to look out for with time. Has anyone ran into something like this?

He hasn't been scratching and it isn't an open wound nor red. It's on a yellow band on the side of the loach, but up towards the back. In pictures it almost looks like a shine. It isn't white, and it isn't flat. It is located behind the fourth black stripe from the nose.

PXL_20240317_101425764_MP.jpg.1cabbfb29b160603e7a0bb770edc7dc3.jpgPXL_20240317_101001965_MP.jpg.ceeaeefa272f0c01f28da2151e7efdbb.jpgPXL_20240317_100725914_MP.jpg.1e95c114c33e9c2a237c4d81e4ed3f41.jpg

Possibly injured itself and it's got some inflammation under the skin causing a small lump assuming there Indian almond leaves in the tank i would add more as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and monitor for next 5 days to the see if lump gets bigger or reduces in size and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes at that level safe for your loach then give an update if you notice it getting worse @pancake

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I wanted to give an early update due to a change. Though I have not added salt for a couple of reasons, I did add a couple of leaves sunday and removed 2 leaves today (Tuesday) that were basically leaf skeletons (+vacuumed, which removed about 40% of water, and I replaced it). This left me with 3 leaves in a 10 gallon. 

The yellow lump is less noticable today (Tuesday) but still there. However white 3d bumps have appeared on the same loach. I assume ich. The 3d white bumps are not on the fins or gills but on the main body. 3 are seen on one side, and two are seen on the same side as the yellow lump. Pics provided.

PXL_20240320_005559170_MP.jpg.f1258473e9b756b44efa5f5f5c3b1c19.jpg

^opposite of yellow lump side. (2 behind 6th stripe from nose + one behind the "u" stripe)

PXL_20240320_011104072.jpg.6abbc87645259731c732ae6138b872a9.jpg

^yellow lump side. (Dot one stripe behind yellow lump + dot on 7th stripe from nose.)

I have not been able to inspect two loaches out of the 6 due to them hiding at the moment, so it is unknown currently if they have the assumed ich too.

The pet stores are closed right now, but I will go tomorrow morning for medicine. Looking for suggestions on medicine and dosage (or if I am wrong for thinking ich). I do have a pest bladder snail in here I would rather not lose but... the loaches are more of a priority to me. I also have a live plant (Anubis? On a coconut husk ball, I know very little about plants)

Also looking for suggestions on "best way" of sanitizing cleaning equipment that was used on this tank. I assume a water bleach solution, rinse, then a soak in dechlorinator water. As a newbie, I thought it couldnt hurt to ask this too.

PXL_20240320_012850217_MP.jpg.fd739fd59c6a3d8219b71bf685922439.jpg

Edited by pancake
Typo

The spot looks raised and they don't look like ich to me you could be dealing epistylis it feeds off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at temperatures over 75°F the most effective treatment is maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank with ick X i use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilise equipment and nets after 24 HR it breaks down into H20 and oxygen I soak what every i want sterilising in a bucket with 3% hydrogen leave it 24 hr remove and  rinse with dechlorinated water @pancake

1000000026.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:48 PM, Colu said:

The spot looks raised and they don't look like ich to me you could be dealing epistylis it feeds off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at temperatures over 75°F the most effective treatment is maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank with ick X i use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilise equipment and nets after 24 HR it breaks down into H20 and oxygen I soak what every i want sterilising in a bucket with 3% hydrogen leave it 24 hr remove and  rinse with dechlorinated water @pancake

1000000026.png

Yes, the white spots are 3d. I assumed ich due to them being white and not translucent. I will turn the temp down for now in case it is epistylis.

How likely do you think they would survived both meds? I know loaches are sensitive. I still still use both, they need to heal.

As for cleaning equipment, is that peroxide out of the bottle to soak, or do you water it down some? If watered down, what is the suggested parts?

On 3/20/2024 at 3:05 AM, pancake said:

Yes, the white spots are 3d. I assumed ich due to them being white and not translucent. I will turn the temp down for now in case it is epistylis.

How likely do you think they would survived both meds? I know loaches are sensitive. I still still use both, they need to heal.

As for cleaning equipment, is that peroxide out of the bottle to soak, or do you water it down some? If watered down, what is the suggested parts?

I no a lot of people who have use this combination of maracyn2 and ick X with catfish and loach without any issues 

• Thanks 1