Can I keep a solo angelfish?

I've always wanted angelfish, have a 55 gallon tank. Was initially thinking of getting a group but it seems like they can get pretty aggressive. There is so much conflicting information with how many a person should keep, that it seems like getting a solo angel will reduce all of the problems. Would it be fine getting a solo angel or are they a social species?

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:05 PM, Gliderzz said:

I've always wanted angelfish, have a 55 gallon tank. Was initially thinking of getting a group but it seems like they can get pretty aggressive. There is so much conflicting information with how many a person should keep, that it seems like getting a solo angel will reduce all of the problems. Would it be fine getting a solo angel or are they a social species?

Most people that buy Angelfish on impulse find out the hard way about cichlid behavior lol.

I told a co-worker her aquarium was too small a 30 gallon and 2 of the 4 she purchased were going to pair off.

After around a week of having them the co-worker said 2 were getting aggressive and she noticed eggs. Imo a solo angelfish will be ok. If you can find a proven pair get them.

Basically what I'm saying is Angelfish are cichlids and should be treated as such. If wanting to keep a group make sure aquarium has the proper space to accommodate them. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 3:42 PM, Tlindsey said:

If wanting to keep a group make sure aquarium has the proper space to accommodate them. 

The other way to keep them in groups, if you can find someone that sex them correctly. I started with 6 in 75 ended up with 2 pairs. One pair is mild, the other has a very aggressive male in it. I now know who is who though. I think I’m going to separate the aggressive pair and let them breed once. Then separate into male and female tanks. They’re not really aggressive unless they’re laying eggs. Then watch out.

@Gliderzzso if you can actually sex them before buying, I don’t think you’ll see much aggression. If keeping alone, and I wouldn’t worry about that. They’ll be fine. They can be kept with a ton of midsized fish species. Anything from large tetras, to any bottom dweller, to things like severum, geophagus, electric blue acara. Just not anything too fin nippy.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

I think you can keep one solo. 

I got 3 for my 95 gallon, knowing there could be issues but hoping it was a big enough tank to manage it.  2 Females and 1 male.  Hoped they'd make a trio, but no luck.  Two paired up and then bullied the third one, not letting her out of one corner of the aquarium.  Moved her into her own community tank and the pair is in the 95 gallon.  All three do fine...going on 3 years now.  They are definitely territorial when they lay eggs, but then they eat them themselves, so go figure.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 7:19 PM, KaitieG said:

They are definitely territorial when they lay eggs, but then they eat them themselves, so go figure.  

Ha! Yes they can, thankfully one of my pairs get to free swimmers. And Then they eat them. I have 2 pair in the same 75g . My big marble makes sure he get 55g of it. Had to move out the unpaired males and the rainbows. He pushed the rainbows to the bottom. But they don’t bother the Bolivian rams or the corys. Must be his personal choice. But when there’s no eggs, there’s no aggression 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 3:05 AM, Gliderzz said:

Would it be fine getting a solo angel or are they a social species?

I keep a solo female angel. She seems fine and content alone in the tank and was ok with various tank-mates of other species in the past too. 
Here she is with her recent attempt of solo reproduction )

angel_with_eggs.jpg

Update: she is laying on the filter again right now as I'm typing this :) 

Edited by Fonske
Fresh info on well-being of my solo angel :)
  • Like 3

Angelfishsmall.png.023d3dee311f0cb561bc66a4cde8c04a.png

I kept an adopted solo male for years without issue.  Being an adoptee, I have no idea how old the fish was, but he was already bigger than the Silver Dollars.   Later when I moved two younger adoptees into his tank the aggression began.  The two adoptees were taken from a toooo small tank and were aggressive to each other.  The younger male quickly found that he wasn't the head fish.

It took about a day to establish the hierarchy in the tank after which the aggression ceased.  At night all three angels would gather in one corner of the tank.  The two younger fish became a breeding pair about a year later. 

If anyone knows which variety of angel this is, I'd like to know.   At 5" long it was a nice centerpiece in that tank.

• Like 1