How level is level?

I recently built an aquarium stand but I am concerned because it is not perfectly level. It’s a combination of the floor being slightly off and the stand slightly being off. I shimmed to get the top of the stand perfectly level where a 25 gallon rimless cube will be, but now the bottom of the stand where my 10 gallon will be is not completely level. The 10 has a frame on the bottom but not the top.

IMG_3165.jpeg.0dd26a73384cc4280eb42f77d633154e.jpegIMG_3166.jpeg.96e501dbce9d7a49ba96549d885c6063.jpegIMG_3166.jpeg.96e501dbce9d7a49ba96549d885c6063.jpegIMG_3168.jpeg.0d3bd12cac73d47c0cd6200236c66cc7.jpeg

the picture above shows the bottom. Its level front to back but not side to side.

i will use a leveling mat for both tanks.

How concerned should I be? 

IMG_3167.jpeg

• Like 2

First let me say that that is a very nice looking stand.  Second, having built your stand, you have something that is better and sturdier than 99% of the stuff out there.

I think you will be just fine.  It looks like the bottom shelf is just slightly off.  The 10 gallon tank isn't very long.  So, you probably won't even notice a different in the water level.  Also, for a framed tank (the 10 on the bottom), you won't need a leveling mat.

I think you are good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:44 PM, Galabar said:

First let me say that that is a very nice looking stand.  Second, having built your stand, you have something that is better and sturdier than 99% of the stuff out there.

Thanks! And it was cheap! The only thing I paid for was the plywood, handles and hinges. The paint I had leftover and the 2x2 and 2x4 I got for free.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:44 PM, Galabar said:

I think you will be just fine.  It looks like the bottom shelf is just slightly off.  The 10 gallon tank isn't very long.  So, you probably won't even notice a different in the water level.  Also, for a framed tank (the 10 on the bottom), you won't need a leveling mat.

I think you are good to go.

I’m putting the 10 gallon so that it’s the short side which is visible from the front, because it wouldn’t fit the other way.

• Like 1

Yeah. Totally level. I'd only worry if the bubble is edging closer to, or crosses the line.

However, to get an accurate reading you'd want to use a level that spans the length of the cabinet top. Using a small level can give you a false sense of level-ness as it's only measuring the surface directly underneath it. This is especially true on surfaces that are warped over a longer span.

But honestly, I'm being pedantic. I'm pretty sure you're as level as can be.  Personally I only worry about being out of level on larger aquariums.

Additionally, being level side-to-side is not as stressful on an aquarium as being on a surface that is torqued on the diagonal. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:57 PM, tolstoy21 said:

This is especially true on surfaces that are warped over a longer span

yeah. i would worry about warps or twist over levelness for a 25g or 10g

On 3/15/2024 at 4:57 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Yeah. Totally level. I'd only worry if the bubble is edging closer to, or crosses the line.

However, to get an accurate reading you'd want to use a level that spans the length of the cabinet top. Using a small level can give you a false sense of level-ness as it's only measuring the surface directly underneath it. This is especially true on surfaces that are warped over a longer span.

But honestly, I'm being pedantic. I'm pretty sure you're as level as can be.  Personally I only worry about being out of level on larger aquariums.

Additionally, being level side-to-side is not as stressful on an aquarium as being on a surface that is torqued on the diagonal. 

I had a big level, but it was left outside on accident over the winter and I think that caused the plastic to become brittle and it broke in half. I'll get another one. I'm not too worried because the plywood it's made out of was completely flat when I put it on and I don't think its had much of a chance to warp yet. Better safe then sorry though.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I recently built an aquarium stand but I am concerned because it is not perfectly level. It’s a combination of the floor being slightly off and the stand slightly being off. I shimmed to get the top of the stand perfectly level where a 25 gallon rimless cube will be, but now the bottom of the stand where my 10 gallon will be is not completely level. The 10 has a frame on the bottom but not the top.

IMG_3165.jpeg.0dd26a73384cc4280eb42f77d633154e.jpegIMG_3166.jpeg.96e501dbce9d7a49ba96549d885c6063.jpegIMG_3166.jpeg.96e501dbce9d7a49ba96549d885c6063.jpegIMG_3168.jpeg.0d3bd12cac73d47c0cd6200236c66cc7.jpeg

the picture above shows the bottom. Its level front to back but not side to side.

i will use a leveling mat for both tanks.

How concerned should I be? 

IMG_3167.jpeg

Great custom stand build. I personally would be proud of myself if I built that stand. 

Definitely agree with everyone on the level being good. @macdaddy36

• Thanks 1