5 gal tall pea puffer tank

One of my teachers at my school is leaving and is looking for someone to take in her animals and tanks.

She gave me this 5 gal tall aquarium in great condition!

20240312_200025.jpg.3c9da8b9872267d6599e840e2b76b898.jpg20240312_200047.jpg.6168f58b80e791e5e500a32162e3876b.jpg20240312_200105.jpg.78457b3a78e4fab01734541890b92409.jpg

I'm hoping to put wood, rock, sand, and vallisneria for decoration.

For stocking, I'm thinking a type of snail(I'm not good with snails, please suggestions if you have any) and pea puffers.

Edited by JS Fish
  • Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 8:02 PM, JS Fish said:

One of my teachers at my school is leaving and is looking for someone to take in her animals and tanks.

She gave me this 5 gal tall aquarium in great condition!

20240312_200025.jpg.3c9da8b9872267d6599e840e2b76b898.jpg20240312_200047.jpg.6168f58b80e791e5e500a32162e3876b.jpg20240312_200105.jpg.78457b3a78e4fab01734541890b92409.jpg

I'm hoping to put wood, rock, sand, and vallisneria for decoration.

For stocking, I'm thinking a type of snail(I'm not good with snails, please suggestions if you have any) and pea puffers.

I know the pea puffer will eat small snails. @JS Fish

On 3/12/2024 at 8:13 PM, Tlindsey said:

I know the pea puffer will eat small snails. @JS Fish

I was thinking of a smaller snail the breeds fast if there is one

Do you know of any snails that are good algae eaters and stay under an inch?

On 3/12/2024 at 8:15 PM, JS Fish said:

I was thinking of a smaller snail the breeds fast if there is one

Do you know of any snails that are good algae eaters and stay under an inch?

Sorry for the late reply. Bladder snails are small and breed fast.

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 10:31 PM, Tlindsey said:

Sorry for the late reply. Bladder snails are small and breed fast.

No problem, thanks, I'll look into them!

Edited by JS Fish
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:27 AM, MattyM said:

Ramshorns are pretty prolific too and are good cleaners in my experience. In my tanks they out compete the bladders. 

Thanks, I'll do research on both!

Do you have any other live foods planned for your pea puffers besides snails?  Most will not take dry prepared foods at all but some will take frozen, meaty foods like bloodworms.  Most do better with live foods like scuds, whiteworms, blackworms, Grindal worms, Daphnia, etc, in addition to the bladder snails, ramshorn snails, or MTS.  Some will even pick at mystery snails enough to eventually kill them.  Most will take live brine shrimp - adult or fresh hatched.

Most are unfortunately still wild caught and can have significant parasite loads and need deworming. Plus 5 gallons is very small for a shoal. Most are sold as juveniles and they can be extremely hard to tell the sex in juvies. If you end up with too many males the dominant male will often kill the non-dominant males.  Dominant males will even kill females.

They are definitely not what I would consider a beginner fish so be aware they can be quite challenging to keep healthy.  There are multiple posts about them on the forum so you might want to do some reading here before you settle on pea puffers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 2:29 PM, Odd Duck said:

Do you have any other live foods planned for your pea puffers besides snails?  Most will not take dry prepared foods at all but some will take frozen, meaty foods like bloodworms.  Most do better with live foods like scuds, whiteworms, blackworms, Grindal worms, Daphnia, etc, in addition to the bladder snails, ramshorn snails, or MTS.  Some will even pick at mystery snails enough to eventually kill them.  Most will take live brine shrimp - adult or fresh hatched.

Most are unfortunately still wild caught and can have significant parasite loads and need deworming. Plus 5 gallons is very small for a shoal. Most are sold as juveniles and they can be extremely hard to tell the sex in juvies. If you end up with too many males the dominant male will often kill the non-dominant males.  Dominant males will even kill females.

They are definitely not what I would consider a beginner fish so be aware they can be quite challenging to keep healthy.  There are multiple posts about them on the forum so you might want to do some reading here before you settle on pea puffers. 

Thanks, I'm planning snail, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen blood worms for food.

I'm just going to get one pea puffer.

I've been keeping fish for a while and I've finally gotten enough experience to keep more difficult species.

I do appreciate the heads up though!

• Like 1