Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

I’m actually baffled by where your ammonia is coming from after all of this time. You really should be at the point of zero by now. Have you tested your tap? Are you aging your water in a bucket or taking it straight from the tap. In any case, I’d wait it out for a bit more. I know that’s tough to do after all the waiting, but it would be best for your Corys. I know you’re wanting them really badly, and hopefully this clears up soon.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 11:21 PM, Tony s said:

I’m actually baffled by where your ammonia is coming from after all of this time. You really should be at the point of zero by now. Have you tested your tap? Are you aging your water in a bucket or taking it straight from the tap. In any case, I’d wait it out for a bit more. I know that’s tough to do after all the waiting, but it would be best for your Corys. I know you’re wanting them really badly, and hopefully this clears up soon.

I will test from tap, yep, it’s crazy. Haven’t tested the tap water yet. I just did a 50% change and added prime. Thanks @Tony s. I have no clue why this is happening but we will see what happens.

• Like 1

@Tony s, gotta a possible issue here, the online fish seller you mentioned (I think Cory said that we cannot mention them because they are now selling plants against AC) has only the option of buying 6, not 5, would 6 even fit in a 10g with the minnows?

On 4/28/2024 at 8:12 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Tony s, gotta a possible issue here, the online fish seller you mentioned (I think Cory said that we cannot mention them because they are now selling plants against AC) has only the option of buying 6, not 5, would 6 even fit in a 10g with the minnows?

6 is better than 5

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 8:12 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

the online fish seller you mentioned

I honestly have no recollection of that. 6 should be okay, it’s more a matter of staying on top of your parameters and water changes

One extra fish isn’t going to add a whole lot. Either in bio load or them feeling secure. Just once I wanna take a large shallow tank and just fill it with Corys. It’s supposed to change how they behave by a lot 

• Like 1

Update: I decided as the ammonia is .25 to .50 ppm. 😫. That I am going to take out my Java fern tonight, it’s rotting terribly. And gonna see if the rotting is causing the ammonia. Fun fact, the ammonia spike started about around the time it started melting (might still be not the case but we’ll see). @Tony s, @macdaddy36, @johnnyxxl, hope this is the problem, I found on the internet what people said about rotting plants and ammonia. ⬇️ Picture down below, of my tank, I changed the look, the moneywort, yeah I got rid of it, it was barely alive, roots rotting two pieces left. @macdaddy36, I tried a video of them eating but it says it’s too large. ? Idk how to  get it. But there is my update everyone. Ps: I moved that small cave to behind  the Pearl weed. Where it was originally.

DF589436-00EA-4292-8286-AEB17ED15A74.jpeg.bf066aa96128f979cb31722a0bd23896.jpeg

• Like 1

Depends on how handy you are. DIY lids are very functional. but you have to cut it to fit. or have the place your buying materials for cut it for you. you can use plexiglass or double walled polycarbonate lids if you can find the materials. last time I checked at a home store, i couldn't find what i was looking for. other than that, your petsmart has them in stock and ready to go.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 2:03 PM, Tony s said:

Depends on how handy you are. DIY lids are very functional. but you have to cut it to fit. or have the place your buying materials for cut it for you. you can use plexiglass or double walled polycarbonate lids if you can find the materials. last time I checked at a home store, i couldn't find what i was looking for. other than that, your petsmart has them in stock and ready to go.

I guess I am a handy kind of guy. I have a good number of tools in my barn. (That’s for a example i don’t think I actually need tools.) Petsmart has the DIY ones you say? @Tony s, because those would be ok. 

On 5/8/2024 at 2:05 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Same brand I have, just different model. Should work good though!

Sweet! Ordering now…. @Tony s, can I order this today online at petsmart? That would be great. If possible. The glass lid is what I am talking about.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:03 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Petsmart has the DIY ones you say

petsmart has the premade ones to fit your tank. Home depot/Lowes has polycarbonate or plexiglass that can be table sawed to fit your exact tank. The double walled ones are kind of nice. sawn the right way they kind of act like their own hinge

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, Tony s said:

petsmart has the premade ones to fit your tank. Home depot/Lowes has polycarbonate or plexiglass that can be table sawed to fit your exact tank. The double walled ones are kind of nice. sawn the right way they kind of act like their own hinge

Ok, does it it matter if not the same brand @Tony s?

• Like 1

for lids it doesn't. but for tanks that had kit lights, you'll want to measure from the inside lip to the inside lip. including what your kit light was sitting on. and match those exactly. petsmart should have them in stock by where they have the lights. and they should match petsmarts tanks

• Thanks 1

Man, it has terrible reviews, like 2 stars, could you recommend a different brands? @Tony s

On 5/8/2024 at 4:21 PM, Tony s said:

for lids it doesn't. but for tanks that had kit lights, you'll want to measure from the inside lip to the inside lip. including what your kit light was sitting on. and match those exactly. petsmart should have them in stock by where they have the lights. and they should match petsmarts tanks

This one looks great, would it fit? It’s a dif brand. Idk if that can be a issue. @Tony s

816C388B-52B5-4D5B-86FC-D17CA4962D7A.jpeg

• Like 1

I have no idea, you'd have to measure your inside tank dimensions. That lid would fit tanks from Petco. Sometimes that's not the same. PetSmart doesn't carry the long/tall tanks like Petco. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Tony s said:

I have no idea, you'd have to measure your inside tank dimensions. That lid would fit tanks from Petco. Sometimes that's not the same. PetSmart doesn't carry the long/tall tanks like Petco. 

Thanks l will just buy the topfin one, mig(t not work, but it’s super cheap, 15 bucks. If it works great. If not I I’ll get another one. I guess not a great Q, you don’t own my tank or know the exact dimensions. I ordered the light, coming Friday. Thanks for ALL the help since I joined this forum, you have answered tons of questions I had, your super knowledgeable! I say it a lot, but I mean, I am not that experienced of a keeper, I know a lot, but we all have lots of questions. 
ps: I can’t react to any more posts lol 😉

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Haha 1