Feeling Burnt Out - High Tech Aquarium

Hey everyone,

I’m curious if anyone else has ever felt this way. I’m feeling burnt out and I’m not enjoying my main “showpiece aquarium” anymore. 

I currently have a heavily planted aquarium with in-line pressurized co2 and a Twinstar light. Dosing EI and doing weekly water changes. It looks pretty decent and plants are growing fairly well while managing algae to the best of my availability. My co2 cylinder kicked the other day and I have been tinkering with the replacement, but it has been a pain getting it dialed in and running at the same bubble rate. 

I initially thought it was fun getting all of the high tech gear (canister filter, lily pipes, co2, fancy light, etc), but now the work to enjoyment balance seems to be leaning heavily toward feeling like maintenance is a chore. I am getting way more enjoyment out of my low tech tanks even though the plants aren’t as exciting. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I’m debating tearing down the high tech tank and starting fresh or trying to figure out a way to transition from high tech to low tech without a massive algae bloom, even if that means that I’ll have to sacrifice some of my plants in the process. 

Any feedback or advice is welcome and much appreciated. Thanks!

Matt 

Maybe get off of el dosing. I have what I call a semi-high tech tank. I dose low CO2, just a plant boost - a drop checker prob wouldn't even change color, and add just enough ferts - a few squirts of EG every other day or so along with Potassium. I barely have any algae issues (only happens when I overdose ferts) and each week I do maybe 30 min of maint work, barely any need to change water, just a little cleaning and plant maint here and there, and the occasional canister clean. When I do need to change more than a bucket of water (it's a 100g), I have a dead simple python-like system to replenish the water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/6/2024 at 12:20 PM, MattyM said:

Maybe get off of el dosing. I have what I call a semi-high tech tank. I dose low CO2, just a plant boost - a drop checker prob wouldn't even change color, and add just enough ferts - a few squirts of EG every other day or so along with Potassium. I barely have any algae issues (only happens when I overdose ferts) and each week I do maybe 30 min of maint work, barely any need to change water, just a little cleaning and plant maint here and there, and the occasional canister clean. When I do need to change more than a bucket of water (it's a 100g), I have a dead simple python-like system to replenish the water. 

@MattyM thanks for this idea! What kind of light do you use? This sounds like exactly the system that I would like for my setup 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:38 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@MattyM thanks for this idea! What kind of light do you use? This sounds like exactly the system that I would like for my setup 

No prob! I use 2 Fluval Plant 3 lights. I also have a grow light on the ceiling which adds some additional light. The Fluvals I use at about 25% power, custom setting with barely any blues. To give an idea:

image.png.1b5334ad7d0349e3dd03803018800250.png

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 3/6/2024 at 12:45 PM, MattyM said:

No prob! I use 2 Fluval Plant 3 lights. I also have a grow light on the ceiling which adds some additional light. The Fluvals I use at about 25% power, custom setting with barely any blues. To give an idea:

image.png.1b5334ad7d0349e3dd03803018800250.png

@MattyM thanks for sharing, this is a beautiful setup! The amount of maintenance required that you mentioned sounds exactly like what I’m looking for 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:45 PM, MattyM said:

dirt tank

I get it but I don't get the whole injecting CO2 into the tank. No filtration except for the plants and am running 2 air stones.

I used Father Fish substrate and his supplement package with an aquarium sand cap. I am using the Fluval plant light and my highest daytime setting is 25%.

Also with an extremely low red and blue setting. My plants are growing like crazy. I dialed the strength of the light settings back a little and my jungle thinned out a little but the plants are still racing towards the surface!

So far, the 3 platys, 4 kuhli loaches, 4 black loaches and the albino pleco seem very happy.

I am adding the whole scud and shrimp package from Phillips Fish Works:

1x Bag of Bugs - Microfauna Culture, 1x Aquatic Isopod Culture (10 Pack), (Neocaridina) 10 Pack and 1x Scud Balls.

I did get some white fuzz on the wires and the air lines and some algae especially on the rear glass but the platys and the pleco cleaned that right up.

Am heading towards 3 months and the tank is doing awesome.

Am hoping to add some barbs to the mix. Just waiting to give the plants time to acclimate to new new members before I get some more occupants. Also haven't really seen any barbs that stay small enough or that I like.

• Like 1

I started a 17 gallon fish bowl without CO2 because I wanted to try again balancing a non co2 tank to get to no noticeably visible algae.

I am not declaring the war as won as yet, but at least 1 battle has been.

This iteration I have had far less algae then I ever had kn my other tanks before going high tech. Co 2 canister filter etc…

I developed that annoying thin long filament strand that gets entangled in plants like strong spider silk.  It has been eliminated for now and has been gone 14 days and counting…. Again, not claiming victory…

I have a diy modified under gravel filter plate with Easy flow kit replacing the uplift tube. And I have a Lees triple flow medium box filter with an easy flow kit on it with polyfill for mechanical filtration..  No CO2, mostly easy plants, Ludwigia repens, crypt Wendetti, pink flamingo crypt, anubias, bacopa, java fern, rotala, water lettuce, hornwort, s repens…

I wouldnt say it is less work than the co2 tanks though.  Maybe less trimming of plants, but that is it..  

I clean the box filter weekly vs monthly for the canister.  I spend more time on water changes in fishbowl as I am stirring up sediment with a turkey baster and siphoning it away that I dont have to do with the canister..

perhaps you might want to invest in a ph controller for your co2 solenoid, Then bubble count becomes less of a concern…

IMG_2493.jpeg.b79f697714b3b478c965a930cd2b456c.jpeg

My low tech 17 gallon fishbowl

image.jpg.ca95a8025e3d669703fd14ace40f0f50.jpg
My high tech 29 gallon display tank.

• Love 2

@Mattlikesfish36 just to expand a little, I think this particular tank's low maint has to do with a few key things:

1. Sanded substrate, 3-4" deep - I am using seachem flourite sand here, black. Don't know how much that matters, but I've used it before and liked it, a lot. Based on my experience, a gravel substrate needs actual cleaning. I hardly ever see detritus on my sand, just in a lower flow corner in the back.
  2. MTS snails - love em or hate em, they churn the sand - a very good thing in my opinion. I actually never see them much. 
  3. Good flow - helps the filters catch stuff, disperses CO2, oxygen, and nutrients well. 
  4. Good filtration - this tank has a canister at each end - 1 outflows across the back of the tank, the other has a spray-bar pointing towards the other filter. This creates a nice circular flow. I have the spray-bar angled slightly upward, producing a nice ripple effect. I don't care if it off gases CO2; it looks cool, prevents surface gunk, and promotes gas exchange.
  5. Cory cats - kick stuff up and into the water column, where the filters eventually get it. 
  6. And of course, a ton of plants.

Word of caution: If you use inline CO2 diffusers, that will be more maint - I like how efficient they are and how well they disperse CO2, but they need cleaning, as do the hoses. But the hoses could go longer w/o cleaning if there wasn't an inline diffuser, if that makes sense. I've gotten pretty quick at it, but it's still work every so often.

This is all based on my experience and experimentation ✌️

Edited by MattyM
detail added
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:59 PM, Pepere said:

I started a 17 gallon fish bowl without CO2 because I wanted to try again balancing a non co2 tank to get to no noticeably visible algae.

I am not declaring the war as won as yet, but at least 1 battle has been.

This iteration I have had far less algae then I ever had kn my other tanks before going high tech. Co 2 canister filter etc…

I developed that annoying thin long filament strand that gets entangled in plants like strong spider silk.  It has been eliminated for now and has been gone 14 days and counting…. Again, not claiming victory…

I have a diy modified under gravel filter plate with Easy flow kit replacing the uplift tube. And I have a Lees triple flow medium box filter with an easy flow kit on it with polyfill for mechanical filtration..  No CO2, mostly easy plants, Ludwigia repens, crypt Wendetti, pink flamingo crypt, anubias, bacopa, java fern, rotala, water lettuce, hornwort, s repens…

I wouldnt say it is less work than the co2 tanks though.  Maybe less trimming of plants, but that is it..  

I clean the box filter weekly vs monthly for the canister.  I spend more time on water changes in fishbowl as I am stirring up sediment with a turkey baster and siphoning it away that I dont have to do with the canister..

perhaps you might want to invest in a ph controller for your co2 solenoid, Then bubble count becomes less of a concern…

IMG_2493.jpeg.b79f697714b3b478c965a930cd2b456c.jpeg

My low tech 17 gallon fishbowl

image.jpg.ca95a8025e3d669703fd14ace40f0f50.jpg
My high tech 29 gallon display tank.

@Pepere thanks for sharing your beautiful aquariums!

On 3/6/2024 at 6:16 PM, MattyM said:

@Mattlikesfish36 just to expand a little, I think this particular tank's low maint has to do with a few key things:

1. Sanded substrate - I am using seachem flourite sand here, black. Don't know how much that matters, but I've used it before and liked it, a lot. Based on my experience, a gravel substrate needs actual cleaning. I hardly ever see detritus on my sand, just in a lower flow corner in the back.
  2. MTS snails - love em or hate em, they churn the sand - a very good thing in my opinion. I actually never see them much. 
  3. Good flow - helps the filters catch stuff, disperses CO2, oxygen, and nutrients well. 
  4. Good filtration - this tank has a canister at each end - 1 outflows across the back of the tank, the other has a spray-bar pointing towards the other filter. This creates a nice circular flow. I have the spray-bar angled slightly upward, producing a nice ripple effect. I don't care if it off gases CO2; it looks cool, prevents surface gunk, and promotes gas exchange.
  5. Cory cats - kick stuff up and into the water column, where the filters eventually get it. 
  6. And of course, a ton of plants.

Word of caution: If you use inline CO2 diffusers, that will be more maint - I like how efficient they are and how well they disperse CO2, but they need cleaning, as do the hoses. But the hoses could go longer w/o cleaning if there wasn't an inline diffuser, if that makes sense. I've gotten pretty quick at it, but it's still work every so often.

This is all based on my experience and experimentation ✌️

@MattyM thanks for all of this! Definite food for thought. I appreciate all of your tips 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 11:40 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

I’m feeling burnt out and I’m not enjoying my main “showpiece aquarium” anymore.

I think everybody feels that way from time to time. I think you need to figure out what you really love about doing this. Me, I love to be shoulder deep in my tanks and doing the maintenance. It feels therapeutic for me. Understanding that we raise large amounts of regular livestock, and the maintenance here doesn't feel like work. I've been know to do maintenance at 2 am after a stressful day.

I don't do show tanks of any sort. I am not trying to impress anybody. I just want happy animals. Sometimes just the feeding is enough for me. Although I have a large male marble angel pair breeding now, I think that's my next adventure

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 8:35 PM, Tony s said:

I think everybody feels that way from time to time. I think you need to figure out what you really love about doing this. Me, I love to be shoulder deep in my tanks and doing the maintenance. It feels therapeutic for me. Understanding that we raise large amounts of regular livestock, and the maintenance here doesn't feel like work. I've been know to do maintenance at 2 am after a stressful day.

I don't do show tanks of any sort. I am not trying to impress anybody. I just want happy animals. Sometimes just the feeding is enough for me. Although I have a large male marble angel pair breeding now, I think that's my next adventure

@Tony s good luck with the breeding angels! That’s an exciting project. I’m raising some apistos and some shell dwellers that bred in my aquariums and that is the most satisfying part for me lately 

• Love 1