Help! Ich/Epistylis??

Brinny

Only fish I’m seeing symptoms on is this guy. He’s still eating but is staying towards the top of the tank and seems to be itching himself. I’m not sure if it’s ich or epistylis. Some of the spots are flat and some are protruding out a little like a grain of salt. I’ve had 2 other fish die in the last day which they didn’t show any symptoms. My water parameters have not changed, my PH stays on the lower side around 6.6. My temp is 76 degrees. 
I have Ich X arriving today and was thinking about feeding Kanaplex in food to cover all bases. Please let me know if I should do anything else! 

IMG_9172.jpeg

IMG_9173.jpeg

IMG_9156.jpeg

Kanaplex won’t work in food. Use Maracyn 2. Same recipe.  If you’re going to use kanaplex, either quarantine the fish. Or treat the whole tank. If it’s ich you’re going to need something like ichex. Ich is not bacterial 

I recently rescued fish with both ich and epistylis. I identified this with my microscope to the best I could. I’m not a scientist. They were skinny so may have had a bacterial issue also. They were in very bad shape. 

I used ichx, salt, and maracyn in the water.  Every other day 50% water change and redose for the amount taken out. 

They all cleared up well and are now fat and sassy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 12:55 PM, Brinny said:

Okay so use Maracyn instead of Kanaplex? I've heard people talk about Maracyn and Maracyn 2 so not sure which to use haha

I used original maracyn, salt and ichx together and it worked.  That’s the most I can tell you. 

Maracyn in tank is sufficient with ichex for ich. With higher heat and some aquarium salt. Maracyn 2 in food with lower temperature for epistylis. Honestly never fought with epistylis. 2 different treatments, 2 different directions. Need someone who has fought both to help from here. Got to determine which one 

Main difference. Ich is uniform sized white dots. Epistylis can be different sized dots. Also occurs on eyes.

That looks like epistylis on your mollie most effective for epistylis is maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank with ick X you can add a small amount of aquarium salt epistylis feeds off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures I wouldn't recommend raising the temperature and the combination of maracyn2 and ick X will treat epistylis and ich @Brinny

1000000026.png

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 4:18 AM, Brinny said:

I have to order maracyn2 online. I have Kanaplex in the meantime, can I use that instead until maracyn arrives??

Yes you can use kanaplex instead of maracyn2  not in food as kanaplex is poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract so not much of the medication makes it into the blood stream 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 6:19 AM, Colu said:

Yes you can use kanaplex instead of maracyn2  not in food as kanaplex is poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract so not much of the medication makes it into the blood stream 

@Colu Hi, update! I’ve been using ich X daily now for over a week and Kanaplex along with a 1/3 tank water change daily and my mollie is looking much better! Only a few spots left (mostly on fins now). Couple follow up questions if you don’t mind. I just saw your msg about kanaplex isn’t absorbed great in food, should I switch now to dosing the whole tank instead of soaking it in their food? Also, how long should I continue using ich x and the kanaplex for??

On 3/13/2024 at 8:22 AM, Brinny said:

@Colu Hi, update! I’ve been using ich X daily now for over a week and Kanaplex along with a 1/3 tank water change daily and my mollie is looking much better! Only a few spots left (mostly on fins now). Couple follow up questions if you don’t mind. I just saw your msg about kanaplex isn’t absorbed great in food, should I switch now to dosing the whole tank instead of soaking it in their food? Also, how long should I continue using ich x and the kanaplex for??

What I would suggest is one full course of kanaplex dosing tank with ick X that deal with any remaining epistylis 

On 3/13/2024 at 7:35 AM, Colu said:

What I would suggest is one full course of kanaplex dosing tank with ick X that deal with any remaining epistylis 

@Colu Okay! What would you consider a full course? Until the vial of meds are empty or for a certain amount of time? Sorry for all the questions, in my 7 years of fish keeping this is my first time dealing with any sort of disease 

On 3/13/2024 at 1:36 PM, Brinny said:

@Colu Okay! What would you consider a full course? Until the vial of meds are empty or for a certain amount of time? Sorry for all the questions, in my 7 years of fish keeping this is my first time dealing with any sort of disease 

Use one scoop of medication for 5 gallons every 48hr  repeat for a maximum of 3 dose then give us an update 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:20 AM, Colu said:

Use one scoop of medication for 5 gallons every 48hr  repeat for a maximum of 3 dose then give us an update 

@Colu update: today will be my third treatment of treating the whole tank with kanaplex as well as continuing ichX. Here is how my Molly currently looks. Much better than when starting. still has a few small healing spots on fins. Only thing that worries me is today I noticed 2 new spots 1 behind each fin as shown in picture. Any suggestions? 

IMG_9263.jpeg

Posted (edited)

@Colu definitely raised, looks a little bigger than a grain of salt. Kinda looks like one of the big coarse salt grains. Very white too. Also, no new spots on any of the other fish that I’m noticing 

Edited by Brinny

On 3/19/2024 at 11:15 PM, Brinny said:

@Colu definitely raised, looks a little bigger than a grain of salt. Kinda looks like one of the big coarse salt grains. Very white too. Also, no new spots on any of the other fish that I’m noticing 

It might need a second course of kanaplex and ick x to get rid of the last couple of spots 

Posted (edited)

@Colu thanks so much! okay, should I keep doing what I’ve been doing- every other day 30% water change followed by ich X followed by dosing kanaplex? (I was doing ich X every day before I was dosing kanaplex in the whole tank but started doing only on the kanaplex day because thought might shouldn’t do a water change between kanaplex dosings didn’t want to take any of the meds out too soon) 

Edited by Brinny

On 3/20/2024 at 2:31 AM, Brinny said:

@Colu okay, should I keep doing what I’ve been doing- every other day 30% water change followed by ich X followed by dosing kanaplex? (I was doing ich X every day before I was dosing kanaplex in the whole tank but started doing only on the kanaplex day because thought might shouldn’t do a water change between kanaplex dosings didn’t want to take any of the meds out too soon) 

Yes dose how you have been it's fine to leave the ick X in 48hr as you don't want to interrupt your antibiotic treatment 

Edited by Colu