Lowlight no-snail plants?

On 2/29/2024 at 8:37 AM, johnnyxxl said:

I saw a video explaining what is going on with java fern the box stores are selling leaves with a bit of rizome is tied up in bunches so they struggle and die.  Because nobody tells us the buyer about the threads holding them together.

Yeah I have seen that vid before but never watched it, that is why @Gideyon, if u get more plants than u have now (you probably will) Aquarium coop is where to get em, Java fern to. If you have no choice than find the best other place to get them (personally AC is the best aquarium online place in the world but that is just me). 🙂

I remember watching a video a long time ago of someone putting plants in their fishless tank and filled water just enough to cover the substrate but not the plant. Then they put a saran wrap over the tank. And they kept it that way for some time. 

Has anyone tried this? What's the purpose? 

I was considering this with the tissue cultures since their roots are small.   Before competing submersing them and risk them floating before the roots take root. 

This makes sense to some extent. It depends on what stage the plant is in at the moment. Aquarium plants are Usually grown with their roots submerged but their leaves out of the water (emersion grown). other plants are grown submerged completely in water. Emersion grown plants are air breathing still, and when submerged they must be converted to submerged leaves . Usually by dying back completely and growing new leaves. By putting the plastic over the tank they’re just converting the tank into a terrarium to conserve moisture. Giving the roots a bit of a chance to develop before attempting full submersion. It gives them a bit more energy to draw upon when converting.   Less chance for plant failures. 

now if you already have fully submerged plants, this will work in reverse and cause the plant to try to re adapt to air growth. Draining energy from them twice, cause then you’re going to resubmerge them again. 

if you knew what stage they’re in, you could do the terrarium growth. But tissue cultures may already be converted. So that wouldn’t be helpful to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well my first venture into plants was messy and expectedly bad 

But thankfully not too many swords ended up floating. 

I have way too much rotala. But I guess I'll just see which ones grow and remove the excess. 

PXL_20240314_163541435.jpg.8099f53fa62a3393a0605f837ace0ec9.jpg

It got frustrating to the point I didn't care about the location. Just get it in there.  So it looks like a mess. 

I guess this is where it might be better to get more matured plants. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 12:55 PM, Gideyon said:

I have way too much rotala. But I guess I'll just see which ones grow and remove the excess. 

It got frustrating to the point I didn't care about the location. Just get it in there.  So it looks like a mess. 

That’s not that bad for starters for plants, same, micro sword was an absolute pain to get in, but it worked, you have fertilizer correct @Gideyon?

Posted (edited)

No.   I'm trying to see if I can go without ferts and high light. That's why I picked these plants in particular. Probably at this stage it is needed, which is why I got the tabs, but we'll see.  

Edited by Gideyon

On 3/14/2024 at 1:34 PM, Gideyon said:

No.   I'm trying to see if I can go without ferts and high light. That's why I picked these plants in particular. Probably at this stage it is needed, which is why I got the tabs, but we'll see.  

Oh i got you, that’s a good experiment, the tabs is good for root feeders so that’s good you got them.

For what it's worth, my first planting of stems (Bacopa caroliniana) I was convinced I was terrible, but I was planting into coarse, rough gravel. Finer substrate is so much easier, so you were kind of planting with one hand tied behind your back, there.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 4:42 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

For what it's worth, my first planting of stems (Bacopa caroliniana) I was convinced I was terrible, but I was planting into coarse, rough gravel. Finer substrate is so much easier, so you were kind of planting with one hand tied behind your back, there.

Yeah,I have the premium gravel from petsmart, the big kind and oh man, it is a nightmare to plant stem plants, one time yesterday I had the moneywort in there, then all the sudden, it plopped right out and floated, next time that happens I said I am not planting it back in there, it will be a floater lol. It is 100% better with actual substrate, not rock. 

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So on another thread, I posted a picture of suspected-and-confirmed diatoms. But when looking at the original picture here, I noticed that my rotala aren't green anymore. Are these diatoms?  Do I need to do something? 

Swords look fine and growing well. 

PXL_20240327_194329997.jpg.36ddf8ef9546566e8651bbfae2bd4a53.jpg

Any thoughts?  Nothing to worry about? 

On 3/28/2024 at 12:47 PM, Gideyon said:

So on another thread, I posted a picture of suspected-and-confirmed diatoms. But when looking at the original picture here, I noticed that my rotala aren't green anymore. Are these diatoms?  Do I need to do something? 

Swords look fine and growing well. 

PXL_20240327_194329997.jpg.36ddf8ef9546566e8651bbfae2bd4a53.jpg

Any thoughts?  Nothing to worry about? 

If your talking about diatoms, no, it’s super natural and happens to every tank, for example I had one that had no plants, had diatoms forever but not anymore, becuase my betta dies today and I cleaned everything out. So, it doesn’t mean that your plants are not thriving or anything like that, nothing you need to do @Gideyon 🙂

On 3/8/2024 at 7:10 PM, Gideyon said:

I remember watching a video a long time ago of someone putting plants in their fishless tank and filled water just enough to cover the substrate but not the plant. Then they put a saran wrap over the tank. And they kept it that way for some time. 

Has anyone tried this? What's the purpose? 

I was considering this with the tissue cultures since their roots are small.   Before competing submersing them and risk them floating before the roots take root. 

The purpose for that is growing them out and preventing algae growing on the plant.  But the draw back depending on how long is melting after tank planting submerged. 

On 3/16/2024 at 8:41 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yeah,I have the premium gravel from petsmart, the big kind and oh man, it is a nightmare to plant stem plants, one time yesterday I had the moneywort in there, then all the sudden, it plopped right out and floated, next time that happens I said I am not planting it back in there, it will be a floater lol. It is 100% better with actual substrate, not rock. 

Just mix playground sand in, tons easier 

On 3/28/2024 at 7:56 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

If your talking about diatoms, no, it’s super natural and happens to every tank, for example I had one that had no plants, had diatoms forever but not anymore, becuase my betta dies today and I cleaned everything out. So, it doesn’t mean that your plants are not thriving or anything like that, nothing you need to do @Gideyon 🙂

Might want a liquid fertilizer light dosage 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 1:06 AM, johnnyxxl said:

The purpose for that is growing them out and preventing algae growing on the plant.  But the draw back depending on how long is melting after tank planting submerged. 

Just mix playground sand in, tons easier 

Might want a liquid fertilizer light dosage 

Yes some frets can help and thanks for the suggestion @johnnyxxl.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How long does the melting last?   Seems like the swords that were doing really well are now struggling too. 

I might have to succumb to getting a liquid fertilizer. 

Rotala was one of those plants one person said you could grow in a toilet. And I can't seem to grow it in a tank. PXL_20240416_013859962.jpg.c9df20e19f24a776e58b658cafaf899b.jpg