Where to buy cheapest aquarium online

WVWade

On 2/25/2024 at 4:07 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Cheap is very risky word when looking to purchase an aquarium. Sometimes, spending an extra $50-$100 now can save you the headache of something going very wrong. There are definitely ways to be frugal in this hobby, but this is not where I’d start. 

I feel like we don't have good "mid-tier" aquarium choices.  We have aqueon/marineland/topfin or much more expensive choices.  In the days of yore, we had Oceanic, which fit the level that you might be talking about.

• Like 2

Seapora / Deep Blue would be a good "mid-tier" brand. The build quality and fit an finish is significantly better than Aqueon , Marineland, or Top Fin.

I have never had a high-end tank, so I can't compare it to those.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:07 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Cheap is very risky word when looking to purchase an aquarium. Sometimes, spending an extra $50-$100 now can save you the headache of something going very wrong. There are definitely ways to be frugal in this hobby, but this is not where I’d start. 

Yeah with everything else you get to start it, you could drop 200+ bucks on an aquarium, that is just what happens sometimes, and a 55 is over 100 uselly anyways but petsmart is my 1. Option for cheap or normal priced aquariums @WVWade

On 2/20/2024 at 9:41 AM, jwcarlson said:

I think you can get a 40 breeder at Petco for $60 or a used one on FB where I'm at for $100. 😄

I've seen that too... So often people are selling their whole setup with all the decorations they paid too much for and trying to get roughly the same amount they paid.

I got a 40 breeder for $40 about two years ago but it has some scratches. I kind of wish I had just spent the $20 more to get brand new.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:12 AM, Schuyler said:

I've seen that too... So often people are selling their whole setup with all the decorations they paid too much for and trying to get roughly the same amount they paid.

I got a 40 breeder for $40 about two years ago but it has some scratches. I kind of wish I had just spent the $20 more to get brand new.

It's not uncommon at all to see a 10 gallon with sponge bob decor and they want $100 for it.  Also, frequently, tanks that clearly need resealed asking new/retail pricing for it.  It's not really worth paying attention to it, honestly.  I don't know if it's a regional thing or not, but I can't even get people to pick up free stuff when I'm giving it away.  I added two bedrooms to our basement and as a result kind of lost the place for our 100# heavybag that has basically never been used.  So, I put it up on Facebook for free.  4 or 5 people and pickup instructions for some of them 2-3 times and FINALLY someone actually showed up and grabbed it.  There's people that spent more time going back/forth about the freaking thing than just driving over here and letting me throw it in the back of their car.  I even put it out in the driveway so they could just grab it anytime without me being involved at all.  *shrug*  It's such a pain and I don't even sell anything on there, I just give away usable stuff when I'm cleaning up things. 

• Like 1

I actually just got a FREE marineland 75G tank off of marketplace the other day. Came with filter, air pump, fish net. Basically everything excludng the light. I am currently in the cycling process for it, and plan to use it as a native fish aquarium. Just be sure when you go look at a tank off of marketplace it is free of chips and cracks. Do NOT pick up any tanks that have chips or cracks, its just not worth the risk. Just because it may not leak now, does not mean it wont leak later.