What spray paint to paint the back of an aquarium?

Herefishie

I'm planning to spray paint the back of a new Aquarium. I've not had great luck with that stick on paper. It's not going to be submerged so does it really matter what brand I use on the back? I am close to Home Depot but it doesn't look like they carry Krylon but they do carry rustoleum. Thanks for any advice.

On 2/19/2024 at 12:54 PM, Robert K said:

I used black acrylic paint with a roller.

How many coats did u do @Robert K?

On 2/19/2024 at 12:55 PM, Charestv said:

I've always wondered what the back would look like if i just sprayed it with frosted glass paint. 

Prob look awesome! That is a cool idea @Charestv

Edited by Bigdog99
Edited something out
  • Like 1

I use the static cling stuff from Amazon.  Either in a lightish blue or black.  It's probably more expensive than paint, but it's so much easier.  Plus if you decide you want to change it (which would probably be rarely).  You don't have to scrape it all off.

20230214_194635.jpg.d678039fd8d40e55ba8da38f3b7495a0.jpg

Admittedly the black looks "cleaner" because it blends the black rims.  But I don't mind.  I really like bare bottoms.  My wife, however, fairly frequently says "why does it have to look like that".  It's about the fish, lady!

image.jpeg.b07e65a46a7dd017fe579c9ff62b70ed.jpeg

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Back from Home Depot. I ended up going with a Rustoleum black matte. My husband taped off the new Aquarium and is out there spray painting it now. He said it's working quite well. Thank you to whomever recommended putting a light on it to see if there are any spots that need an extra dose.  Prior to this I used some of that stick on backing. It didn't take long before there were little holes in it. Not sure how that could happen since the back of the tank didn't get touched. I hope this works better. Thanks for all the responses.

• Like 1

I use Rustoleum matte black spray paint.  However, I'd love to hear from folks that have done both spray paint and roll on.  Did you notice a difference?  If roll on looks just as good (or nearly), I think I'd switch.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:29 PM, Galabar said:

Did you notice a difference?  If roll on looks just as good (or nearly), I think I'd switch.

Looking in to the tank looking at the back wall, your not going to perceive any difference so long as there is no lint from the roller sticking in the paint.  

doesnt really matter if it is matt or gloss either.  The glass gives it a gloass regardless.

now on the back of the tank looking from the outside there is a difference, but looking at it from the glass side, none whatsoever.  

My tank backs are near a wall, so I never see the side that it matters one way or the other.

It is generally such a small surface I never bother with a roller and simply brush it on. 2 coats reliably blocks light.  I place a light inside the tank when brushing.  Between fumes, overspray, need to mask, expense, I much prefer brushing over spraying.  I can see where others might prefer spraying…. Either way I cant tell the difference when I am looking in to a tank.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Greetings, 

With the exception of my rimless tanks, all my aquariums have their backs painted. Black is my preference, but I’ve done sky blue, forest green, and even orange (for my reef tank). Between brush coating and spraying, spray painting is totally the fastest and most efficient way.  It maybe  takes 45 minutes total for prepping, actual spraying, and waiting in-between coats (honestly waiting around for paint to dry takes the most time; 20-30 minutes or so). When completed, as long as you’re careful moving your tank after it’s dry to touch, it should be pretty durable for a long time.  

I’ve found that planning ahead of time for spray painting is the key.  Doing it outside away from anything you shouldn’t get overspray on (like your neighbor’s car, or your own white picket fence), when it’s above 50 degrees F, and also in an area protected from rain, you can do it without much fuss or mess.  

The prep time if done properly (tape off the sides and open top with newspaper and painters tape) will take no more than 10-15 minutes.  Enjoy the experience!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1