Howmany times before you learn a lesson?

Pepere

It took me two times….

now the first time was to the twin of this one and the handle pulled up through the plastic.  It was in the basement and I dumped on the floor.  I inspected it and noted the plastic was thin in that area so chalked it up to simply a defect.

I inspected my other one and there was no problem…

then today the handle itself broke dumping 2 1/2 gallons on my hardwood floor…

30 minutes later it is all mopped up and I have an oscillating fan and dehumidifier going. 

the braided rug garnered a lot of the water and that is drying in the basement…

image.jpg.d17a9f3e346ab2c063069444fc4d93d7.jpg

I am going to see if I can find some sturdy stainless steel buckets…

On 2/17/2024 at 8:20 PM, Pepere said:

It took me two times….

now the first time was to the twin of this one and the handle pulled up through the plastic.  It was in the basement and I dumped on the floor.  I inspected it and noted the plastic was thin in that area so chalked it up to simply a defect.

30 minutes later it is all mopped up and I have an oscillating fan and dehumidifier going. 

@Pepere I personally have a five gallon plastic bucket I use that is over 30 yrs old. I don't know if you have a home depot or lowes in your area both sell durable buckets. 

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 8:36 PM, Tlindsey said:

I personally have a five gallon plastic bucket I use that is over 30 yrs old.

5 gallon will be too high to fit under my sink spout.

I just ordered a set of three 22 guage Stainless steel buckets that will fit.

• Like 1

@Pepere Due to these type of plastic pails failing over time I decided to switch to a heavier duty bucket from a farm supply store with a thick stainless handle and much thicker plastic. The one I have is flat on one side for hanging it up against a horse stall etc. but that also makes it easier to walk with when its full. Worth the extra money 100%. Picture below is an example not sure if it was this brand.

P8FBblue_1024x1024@2x.webp.f8cbe3b762d3461c5119d95ed94afe0a.webp

Edited by Travis
  • Thanks 1

The way my discus tank is setup for water change it's "manual", but it is all hard plumbed so I don't have a lot of screwing around to do.  BUT... if I forget to switch the valve in the basement to drain from fill after the last water change... it will siphon the tank down through the refill pump.  65 or so gallons of water on the ground ain't great.  But I've only done it once.

Edited by jwcarlson

First day with the new Stainless steel buckets..IMG_2490.jpeg.62f984f155079f53725ae610814ea6b7.jpeg

3, 22 guage 202 Stainless steel  4.22 gallon buckets $39.60.

Peace of mind the handle wont break loose from the bucket and drop 3 gallons on my floor…. Priceless…

On 2/19/2024 at 3:44 PM, jwcarlson said:

... if I forget to switch the valve in the basement to drain from fill after the last water change... it will siphon the tank down through the refill pump.  

Been there, and done that!

My water changes are sill done one bucket at a time. I was multi-tasking as usual, and I unplugged the pump and began putting everything away.  I don't always take the hook out of the aquarium and on this occasion it also never occurred to me to close the valve.  I only lost 10-15 gallons, but the hardwood floors will never be the same.

After reading, this it occurred to me that I have been using the same 5 gallon water jugs for almost 40 years.  The assortment of 5 gallon buckets are almost half that age.  If a seam or handle gives way, things are going to get ugly, but the houseplants will appreciate the extra humidity.

It took me two times….

I know your pain.   2 thoughts if the bucket is sound use a rope for a handle,  or try finding pickle buckets they were about3 gallons.

On 2/25/2024 at 4:32 PM, johnnyxxl said:

2 thoughts if the bucket is sound use a rope for a handle

The plastic buckets have been decommissioned.  The 3 Stainless steel buckets fill the bill so much nicer…