Rainbowfish Sexing

Adam Swarbrick

TL:DR Please help sex the rainbow fish in the pictures.

I need some help with my bosmani rainbow fish. I bought these 4 fish a few months ago in the hopes of breeding them long term, when i got them i dropped them into a hospital tank for a week or so. Then when it came time move them to a breeding tank I noticed some little orange eggs on a piece of filler floss. They did hatch out as tiny surface swimmers so likely rainbows but were eaten by some other fry in the system so I wasn’t ever able to confirm.

Now the 4 adults below have been in a breeding tank for a few months being fed lots of live food and I have had no eggs so I have started to doubt if there are any females in there at all….

IMG_5087.jpeg.1d12030180c32ebc4fba2cb0646d9279.jpeg I will try and get a photo in the morning when they have coloured up but in the mean time thanks for any help.

Edited by Adam Swarbrick

Yeah, I have young lake aytinjo boesemani. Females are olive green in color(still very pretty), they don’t show the red/orange yours do. They may color up a bit with age, I’m not sure about that. Another way to check, both dorsal fins overlap on the male. Females have a bit of a gap between dorsal fins.

• 2 weeks later...