Best active carbon?

NickD

It works best when put in flowing water. either a cannister or hang on back is best. just putting it in the tank won't work. Its porous nature is what traps the fine particulates,

It doesn't dissolve at all

"best" for me would be something that comes in the shape of a sphere.  It's very arbitrary, but just avoid something that's basically powder or very fine granules.  They make them in all sorts of shapes.

Seachem
image.jpeg.e4e77cd47be74a19978c4bc1d1598fc9.jpeg

penn-plax "pellet" style.
image.png.cd866e1ae5574114f3effc3f8daefd23.png

marineland
image.png.2b1584867ec736cb2b134452ee2ef2a2.png

fluval / aquaclear
image.png.8fabcbb97b694ee6da017ad6d058bd6e.png

It all works. It's all "fine".  Get what you can.  preference for me for use is just the little sphere type.

On 2/15/2024 at 6:28 PM, NickD said:

image.jpg.947bf03f452cc960950cf8070988b57c.jpg@Tony scan I just put the carbon in the bag and tape it on top of the aquarium where the sponge filter is bubbling?

Put it on the top of the sponge filter, wrapped around the uplift tube or laying on top of the air stone if you don't have a sponge filter.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose that would work fine 

On 2/15/2024 at 9:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It all works. It's all "fine"

Yeah. I put it in an empty hob cartridge. As long as I’m not covered in black dust and it doesn’t bleed into the water, it’s good. 

On 2/15/2024 at 8:55 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I suppose that would work fine 

Yeah. I put it in an empty hob cartridge. As long as I’m not covered in black dust and it doesn’t bleed into the water, it’s good. 

you should rinse your carbon in cold water first to get the dust out.

Correct. I should.  But often don’t.  Got out of the habit. Not much dust in mine. And don’t use it much anymore. For my 36 gallon black glow fish tank, I use small pouch of purigen. Which does get rinsed 

On 2/15/2024 at 6:29 PM, NickD said:

Need best active carbon for my 29 gallon to absorb cloudiness and tannins. Provide links plz 

Based on the photo you provided, the fastest and cheapest way to reduce the brown coloration would be through water changes.    Activated carbon after can help mop up residual.