Microscopes

NOLANANO

You might consider a loupe instead of a full-on microscope. It's better than a large traditional magnifying glass, but not as powerful as most microscopes. But it can make the difference between things you want to see, but can't. They don't need to have high numbers of magnification power, but quality optics is a must. A wide aperture or opening is better than narrow.

If you do go with a microscope, look for a dissecting microscope. These don't use slides and light from below, but rather look closely at larger objects, often on a dish or tray, using light from above. A good dissecting scope will let you see daphnias (even babies), and things like bbs, detritus worms, cyclops, ostracods and so on. But you won't see bacteria or unicellular organisms. You can learn more by googling "dissecting microscope vs compound microscope". 

On 2/14/2024 at 3:55 PM, NOLANANO said:

Amazon.com: AmScope 120X-1200X 52-pcs Kids Beginner Microscope STEM Kit with Metal Body Microscope, Plastic Slides, LED Light and Carrying Box (M30-ABS-KT2-W),White : Toys & Games

This is relatively cheap but based on the pics in the reviews, I think it might work well enough for me. Am I just wasting my money if I buy a kit this cheap?

This is a good question for @dasaltemelosguy

He found one for me I bought.  Mine actually does much more than I know how to Use 🤣. He would know if that kit has what you need to do what you are wanting. 

On 2/14/2024 at 1:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

This is a good question for @dasaltemelosguy

He found one for me I bought.  Mine actually does much more than I know how to Use 🤣. He would know if that kit has what you need to do what you are wanting. 

@NOLANANO, I was also going to suggest a student scope as they tend to be ‘no frills’ and inexpensive. I’m no expert but I believe you will not be able to see bacteria with the scope you have a link to, but you’ll see a plethora of invisible creatures, nonetheless. Just a scrape of the underside of the tank lid is a miniature ‘wild kingdom’. I believe you would need 400X minimum to see bacteria but I’m going to tag @Odd Duck because she would know much more about this than I do. This video has a nice comparison of specimen sizes and magnifications to give you an idea of how much magnification you should have.

Comparing Microorganism Size Under the Microscope - 40X, 100X, 400X, 1000X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 2:55 PM, NOLANANO said:

Amazon.com: AmScope 120X-1200X 52-pcs Kids Beginner Microscope STEM Kit with Metal Body Microscope, Plastic Slides, LED Light and Carrying Box (M30-ABS-KT2-W),White : Toys & Games

This is relatively cheap but based on the pics in the reviews, I think it might work well enough for me. Am I just wasting my money if I buy a kit this cheap?

I think that is likely to be more frustrating than helpful.  You have to get good quality optics or it’s a waste of your money and your time.  Unfortunately I  don’t have a recommendation for a cheap microscope since I’ve only looked into higher quality scopes.  I would recommend you contact a local university or college science department and ask if they have any used student scopes available.  They may need some reconditioning but they will occasionally replace their entire student scope supply and good deals could be found for pretty low cost if you either happen to have excellent timing or they are taking their time selling off the previous scopes.

You can also check out reconditioned scopes from a microscope seller website.  This is a decent company and they have this scope that looks pretty good as a high school level advanced student scope with enough magnification to start to see most species of bacteria.

https://amscope.com/collections/student-microscopes-high-school-student-9-12-microscopes/products/copy-of-40x-400x-advanced-student-biological-microscope

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1