Bushynose pleco or hillstream???

BIRD0887

I am ordering either 2 hillstream loaches or 2 blue eyes bushynose plecos, they r about 1 in....whichever I get is going in a 10 gal for now to be my algae eater. I knw the pleco can get to about 6 in and the loach will stay a lot smaller. They r the same price so it's a toss up on what to get, ne advice??

If you have places already, you’re fine. If you’re planning on getting more places, and are like everyone else, you’re probably not fine. Everyone always says, yeah, I’ll get those tanks before they need them. Few people actually do.

Then you’re good to go. Yeah, I have 14 tanks, I should have done the 125, but settled for a 75. Our lfs has prices on tanks comparable to the big boxes. Was worried about the weight on the third floor. Would have been good. No plecos for me. Multiple snails in every tank though. I’ve been thinking about getting a few though 

@Tony s Oh man i have plans to have a 125 and another 75...i live an apt an im limited, but i love it! I just got my first live bearers in the 29, i went with swordtails. I ordered to mystery snails for it, and the plecos are so small rn they r going in the 10 or maybe 1 in the 29 to. I love snails to! I only have 1 black mystery rn, but have 4 on the way :)

• Like 1

If it's for removing algae alone and not because you particularly do want the pleco, I'd go with snails instead if I were you. They do a much better job at removing left over food, without adding as much bioload to your tank. In many cases I believe that plecos cause more algae issues than they remove. 

Plecos are kind of cool. But poop machines. Still they consume much more than poop. Jason Adam’s says he wouldn’t be without them in his fish rooms. Prime time Aquatics. And one of the easiest fish to breed 

On 2/13/2024 at 8:47 AM, Tony s said:

Plecos are kind of cool. But poop machines. Still they consume much more than poop. Jason Adam’s says he wouldn’t be without them in his fish rooms. Prime time Aquatics. And one of the easiest fish to breed 

It's just based on my personal experience. I was not aware of who Jason Adams is but just watched one of his videos on goldfish and I would not take his advice on that at least. He keeps 5 common goldfish in a 40gal and admittedly makes water changes two times a week. The goldfish community suggest a minimum of 75gal pr fish + 20/30gal for each after that

ingle tail goldfish such as commons, comets, shubunkins and even longer body fancies such as wakins need larger tanks due to their larger size. The general standard is 55-75gal (208-283l) for the first one and 20-30gal (75-113l) for each one after that.

quote from r/Goldfish wiki page;
https://www.reddit.com/r/Goldfish/wiki/starting_out/

The point I am trying to make is, not to trust everything a youtuber says just because they make videos, or even make many/long/good videos

Jason is one of the top personalities in this business. If you go to Aquashella, you can go watch him speak. He is a microbiology professor with a focus on fish health. Also one of the top people people in the Chicago area in the swaps and clubs seen selling tens of thousands of fish per year. He only puts videos out on the fish he personally raises successfully in his hard Midwest water. So if you’ve seen a video of a fish species from him. It works in 85% of continental US waters. Not the 15% of north west or east coast waters.

I honestly wouldn’t trust anything that comes from Reddit. Ever.period 

On 2/13/2024 at 12:29 PM, Tony s said:

I honestly wouldn’t trust anything that comes from Reddit. Ever.period

To each their own, and I won't try to convince others that what they are doing is wrong. Pesonally, I'd much rather trust a community, of people with experience in the subject, than what one person says (who has content about multiple species). the great thing about communities is, that if an advice is wrong, it will be challenged by the other users. Single way communications is self reafirming.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:15 AM, EggShappedFish said:

Pesonally, I'd much rather trust a community

Actually what you get, and you just have to look at facebook, can be more of a group think. Where members only listen to other members. And pay attention to very few views coming from outside their own opinions. 

Please refer back to the posters original question and keep the discussion focused on the question not individual opinions on YouTube personalities.  If those conversations need to continue please do so through direct message to each other. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/13/2024 at 8:25 AM, Guppysnail said:

Please refer back to the posters original question and keep the discussion focused on the question not individual opinions on YouTube personalities.  If those conversations need to continue please do so through direct message to each other. 

Yes . Apologies to Bird of course. And thank you for putting a stop to this. I can get carried away unintentionally.

• Thanks 1

@BIRD0887 to help answer your question look at your temperature, flow and aeration both in the 10 and the future adult home. I keep both species. Hillstreams prefer lots of flow, cooler temperatures and more aeration.  The pleco is more flexible in all these areas.  

I can also tell you from experience hillstreams are not a great algae cleanup crew.  They eat some but you would need a herd to really make a difference.  

• Like 1

I think hillstream loaches are really cool. I have one right now and I love watching him shuffle around the tank. That being said, there is a chance if you have 2 in a small tank, that one might end up bullying the other one. 

Here is a paragraph regarding this point:

How many hillstream loaches can be kept together? Most people only get one because they’re more expensive and can cost around $15 each. We recommend getting just one or a group of three or more. If you get two, the stronger one may bully the weaker one over food or territory. Males like to scuffle with each other, circling round and round trying to get on top of their opponent, but no bodily harm is done. To reduce aggression levels, make sure to provide more decorations or aquarium plants to block line of sight.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/hillstream-loaches#:~:text=We recommend getting just one,no bodily harm is done

On 2/13/2024 at 8:54 AM, jwcarlson said:

A mature male bristlenose is quite wild looking.

For sure. My male has dug his own caves in the substrate in addition to the caves and coconut huts and things I gave them. But when he’s just out and chillin, fins up, with his bristles I’ll walk past the tank and be like “man, look at that dinosaur of a fish on display right now” lol. 

• Like 3