Should I be worried about bubbles on the water surface of pre-cycled tank?

On 2/11/2024 at 4:47 PM, EggShappedFish said:

IMG_20240211_223538.jpg.8251db8b702ac2a4fd33a3ef587ce389.jpgI have filled the tank with fresh tapwater, and started my DIY filter (PPI mat & ceramic rings) but I now notice these bubbles on the surface. Should I be worried? There are no fish, no gravel, nothing else than just water and filter. 

@EggShappedFish was aquarium cleaned with anything prior to setup? If so what was used for cleaning?

On 2/11/2024 at 10:53 PM, Tlindsey said:

was aquarium cleaned with anything prior to setup? If so what was used for cleaning?

Oh now that you're mentioning it I did wash a couple of corners in soap water (very little soap though). 

Should I make a 100 water change? And would that even be enough? 

It's interesting.  I've been cycling a tank and there were bubbles on that top, similar to that.  I just looked at it today and the bubbles where gone.  I tested the water and there were no nitrites (there were nitrites yesterday).  So, cycle finished and bubbles gone... :classic_huh:

You could take some of the water, put it in a jar and shake it to see if it gets very bubbly (from soap).  However, I'm guessing it's just fine and you can leaveit.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 4:58 PM, EggShappedFish said:

did wash a couple of corners in soap water

Yeah, that’s a problem, may have to do a couple changes. Wouldn’t need to dechlorinate. Just dilute. The refill again, dechlorinate with prime. I hope that works.  Best when cleaning tank, just use water.  Can use an unscented mr clean eraser.  Same for cleaning outside the tank. No soap or windex. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 4:58 PM, EggShappedFish said:

Oh now that you're mentioning it I did wash a couple of corners in soap water (very little soap though). 

Should I make a 100 water change? And would that even be enough? 

@EggShappedFish I suggest sterilize aquariums with part bleach and water and rinse out. The traces of Chlorine from beach won't be a issue once dechlorinator is added to aquarium water. 

Edited by Tlindsey
Missed information
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:27 PM, Tony s said:

Best when cleaning tank, just use water

Yeah, I actually only washed a few spots where I was going to glue some filter parts with silicone, and I knew that there had been algae growth at those areas. I really only used a lightly soaped sponge to clean the area let it dry, and forgot everything about it!

On 2/11/2024 at 11:34 PM, Tlindsey said:

@EggShappedFish I suggest sterilize aquariums with part bleach and water and rinse out. The traces of Chlorine from beach will be a issue once dechlorinator is added to aquarium water. 

Yeah I usually use hydrogen peroxide because it just breaks down into to water after a while, but this time I wanted to clean it so that silicone would stick properly.
I will do a couple of large water changes to flush the system out, and hope that I get most of it!

Edited by EggShappedFish

I find I’m actually liking the mr clean eraser trick. I hadn’t known about that until a couple days ago. But if the tank is empty just rinse it out. If you’ve got it redone already. Just water change until you feel comfortable. 

On 2/11/2024 at 5:34 PM, EggShappedFish said:

Yeah, I actually only washed a few spots where I was going to glue some filter parts with silicone, and I knew that there had been algae growth at those areas. I really only used a lightly soaped sponge to clean the area let it dry, and forgot everything about it!

Yeah I usually use hydrogen peroxide because it just breaks down into to water after a while, but this time I wanted to clean it so that silicone would stick properly.
I will do a couple of large water changes to flush the system out, and hope that I get most of it!

I meant won't be a issue.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 12:12 AM, Tony s said:

Depending on cleaner of course

This is actually a good point that I was just looking into after posting here. Soap is not just soap. If I had used real door soap or proper cleaner soap it might have been worse. But I had just used dish cleaning soap that is made to just rinse clean. To be fair, many here don't even rinse the soap be for drying the dishes! So I don't expect it to be quite as critical as I'd fear. 

On 2/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, Lonkley said:

It's a new tank. Water is cheap. Just change it out. 

I was just not sure if water change would be enough. Actually I have done a 100% water change and scrubbed the glass, but I still get some bubbles, although not quite as many as yesterday 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:44 AM, EggShappedFish said:

I was just not sure if water change would be enough. Actually I have done a 100% water change and scrubbed the glass, but I still get some bubbles, although not quite as many as yesterday 

You can also try running carbon if you're concerned.

• Like 2