Is a normal uv light ok for fin rot?

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I can't afford an aquarium UV sterilizer so would a normal UV light work because I want to use it for guppy fin rot

UV lights that are used in aquariums to reduce populations of algae and bacteria are fairly powerful, hot, and completely shielded so as not to harm you or your fish. Which is a long way of saying, no, a normal UV light will not work for your guppies' fin rot unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

None of the very inexpensive UV solutions is effective for use in aquariums. Sunlight won't hurt your sick guppy but it is only one part of a good quality environment.

Can I quarantine in sunlight? Will that help at all? Sorry I just can not afford a good uv cause I'm 11

UV lights have their place, but I haven't used one for at least 11 years. My guess is that most of members of this forum do not use a UV light.

And it not the expense of the UV lights that keeps me from using one, it is that most of the uses of UV, like assisting with clearly cloudy water, can also be achieved inexpensively and easily without UV.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

UV lights have their place, but I haven't used for at least 11 years. My guess is that most of members of this forum do not use a UV light.

And it not the expense of the UV lights that keeps me from using one, it is that most of the uses of UV, like assisting with clearly cloudy water, can also be achieved inexpensively and easily without UV.

This is the last thing I have not tried, besides some meds, but I can't find them and I can not order online

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is the last thing I have not tried, besides some meds, but I can't find them and I can not order online

There are few 'diseases' that aquarium salt and high quality water cannot fix (including fin rot).

Here is a good Co-Op blog post that you will find helpful.

WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

What do you do if your fish’s fins and tail are looking ragged or discolored? It may be a...