preserving bulk dry food

Fishoutawater

just thought i would see what the opinions are here. i buy my dry food in bulk and vacuum pack it in to smaller portions and freeze it until use in a chest freezer.the food smells and seems fresh even after a year  and the fish eat it like its fresh but want to know if there might be some thing im missing and if i may not be on to as good a thing as i think i am.thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think this probably does a darn good job. I'm not even sure if there is much of a way to improve on it. The only thing I can think of is using those containers that you can pump out the air, each time you use it after you feed each day, but the gains are probably so small.

I just started doing something similar. I have 2 small tanks so Although i dont buy in bulk, i go through food pretty slowly so i need to preserve it. picked up a small little container meant for medication and put my different dry food in it. I sealed the original containers and put them in my freezer. Also i found a plus, with the pill cutter i can easily chop up wafers into smaller pieces so that my cory’s get a chance to eat without an amano shrimp or danio swimming off with the whole pellet. 

6873F3BC-CDC9-4451-80B0-3F627AD71501.jpeg