Adding more sand

Moz

Hi All, new to the forum and kinda new to the hobby. I have a 10gal aquarium with Tetras. Substrate is organic soil with a 1" or so layer of plain sand from Lowe's with live plants. I noticed I need to add some sand in some areas and was wondering if adding more sand could raise the ammonia levels? I still have rinsed sand that was left over from the initial substrate set-up. I'll give it a quick rinse if I have to before.

Thank you in advance!!

-Moz

• Like 1

Hi @Moz, welcome to the forum. I've never had a dirted tank but I've capped planting substrate before and added sand later. Rinsing the sand/getting it wet is a good idea regardless as wet sand will usually be less cloudy/loose particles will be rinsed mostly off. What I've done in my small tanks is scoop wet sand into a cup, poor some tank water into the cup so it's totally wet -and slowly go into the water with it, then placing it where it needed to go. You can smooth it easily enough with a hand or other handy tool. It shouldn't do any harm at all, but any changes made to a tank should be carefully monitored.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1