I'm thinking of ordering some poly filter

On 2/6/2024 at 12:52 PM, Herefishie said:

The reviews seem very high for this product. I understand it changes colors depending on what impurities it is absorbing. I use Cory's Easy Green, Easy Iron and Easy Carbon. Would these pads just absorb the iron and carbon and in effect make my adding them pointless?

Ummm…we’ll probably. It absorbs phosphates which plants need so maybe no. Maybe I am mistaken though…maybe someone will chime in soon

On 2/6/2024 at 11:08 AM, TMartins said:

The white poly pad (filter floss) is inert and will not take any of the fertilizer from the water column.  I’ve used this in my HOB and works great and I would highly recommend it.

Just so we're on the same page, I'm referring to the actual product name called Poly Filter.

IMG_4081.jpeg

Edited by Herefishie

On 2/6/2024 at 1:31 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

Per the manufacturer, when asked about Easy Green

Poly-Filter (R) would adsorb the chelated heavy metals, phosphate and 30% of the nitrate being added to the aquarium. 

So you can expect Poly-Fil to absorb Easy Green / Easy Iron.

My question to you is what do you hope to accomplish by using Poly-Fil? 

Thanks for your response. I'm pretty new in the Aquarium hobby. I've only had my tanks for one year. I don't want to spend the money to keep replacing the filters that manufactures want you to use in their particular filters. I thought maybe I could cut these to fit but if they are going to remove some of the additives I'm putting in the water I think I will just go with plain filter material and cut it to size.  😀

• Like 1

For biological filtration coarse sponge material seems to strike the best balance of providing surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow without being so dense it becomes completely clogged.

In a well balanced aquarium biological filtration is often the only filtration you really need.

Chemical filtration would only be needed for removing unwanted contaminants, or possibly meds if you accidentally overdosed. As evidenced by the number of people using fertilizers we often want more chemicals in the water not less.

Fine filter floss is the superior mechanical filter if you really want to 'polish' your water to get it crystal clear, but it has the major drawback of needing to be replaced often as it is easily clogged. 

If you go back to old videos of Cory setting up his 800 gallon tank he discusses filter floss in some detail, but as I recall he echoed it being an amazing filter material but the maintenance offsets the usefulness in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:52 AM, Herefishie said:

Would these pads just absorb the iron and carbon and in effect make my adding them pointless?

So it's basically a test tool. It's a chemical media, but the color itself is used to identify whatever may be in excess.

Polyfil is something you can use for fine filtration, it's also called pillow batting and comes in sheets if you get the right type.

There's also "fine pad" as a catch all term for things you'll find on places like Amazon.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 11:44 AM, TMartins said:

Sorry I used the ACO poly pad.

image.png.d5f146b5ac4705aaebdd298ff5fc6559.png

I actually have a bag of this that I got from Cory. I've been cutting it into the appropriate sizes to fit the filters. I also bought some really thick coarse black sponge like material that fits in one of the slots in my bigger aquarium. I think maybe I should just stick with what I've been doing. Thank you!

On 2/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

For biological filtration coarse sponge material seems to strike the best balance of providing surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow without being so dense it becomes completely clogged.

In a well balanced aquarium biological filtration is often the only filtration you really need.

Chemical filtration would only be needed for removing unwanted contaminants, or possibly meds if you accidentally overdosed. As evidenced by the number of people using fertilizers we often want more chemicals in the water not less.

Fine filter floss is the superior mechanical filter if you really want to 'polish' your water to get it crystal clear, but it has the major drawback of needing to be replaced often as it is easily clogged. 

If you go back to old videos of Cory setting up his 800 gallon tank he discusses filter floss in some detail, but as I recall he echoed it being an amazing filter material but the maintenance offsets the usefulness in the long run. 

I did purchase some pillow batting from a local Bed, Bath and Beyond. I agree that it got plugged up way too fast for my liking.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 6:39 PM, Herefishie said:

I actually have a bag of this that I got from Cory. I've been cutting it into the appropriate sizes to fit the filters. I also bought some really thick coarse black sponge like material that fits in one of the slots in my bigger aquarium. I think maybe I should just stick with what I've been doing. Thank you!

I did purchase some pillow batting from a local Bed, Bath and Beyond. I agree that it got plugged up way too fast for my liking.

Yeah that is usually  the best decision!  I use just normal cartridges for the tank I have but prob going to switch to the replacement black sponge cartridges or whatever they are! 😆

• Thanks 1