HOB Filter won’t Turn On

My kitten was playing under my fish tank (where all the cords are). I just noticed the HOB filter is off. She had unplugged the extension cord from the wall so I fixed that. It doesn’t appear to be chewed though I can’t see the whole extension cord. I filled the water back up in the filter. I unplugged and replugged it back in. Did a water change a week or two ago (and cleaned the HOB pretty good also), a filter change 3 or 4 days later. Haven’t stirred up the sand or anything since the water change. Any ideas on how to get it working again? Thankfully my sponge filter is still running in there. It’s just an extra filter I run for times like this when the HOB shuts down. 

Never mind. I lifted the intake piece and put it back down and now it’s running. No idea how a kitten could have messed that up!😬

• Like 1

That may help in the future. I think my impeller also gets jammed because of all the algae and maybe sand at times. I plan to move my tank to another location out of the sun when I’m recovered from an injury I’ve had for 5 months now. When I scrape algae off the glass, it goes everywhere in the water column

On 1/31/2024 at 9:23 AM, FishRBeautiful said:

My kitten was playing under my fish tank (where all the cords are). I just noticed the HOB filter is off. She had unplugged the extension cord from the wall so I fixed that. It doesn’t appear to be chewed though I can’t see the whole extension cord. I filled the water back up in the filter. I unplugged and replugged it back in. Did a water change a week or two ago (and cleaned the HOB pretty good also), a filter change 3 or 4 days later. Haven’t stirred up the sand or anything since the water change. Any ideas on how to get it working again? Thankfully my sponge filter is still running in there. It’s just an extra filter I run for times like this when the HOB shuts down. 

Never mind. I lifted the intake piece and put it back down and now it’s running. No idea how a kitten could have messed that up!😬

aquaclear?

On 1/31/2024 at 10:14 AM, FishRBeautiful said:

It’s a TopFin Silenstream. My first time keeping fish so I got it on Black Friday a year ago without researching anything. I’ve kept tons of fish alive with it though so it works well when it works.

hm, interesting.  Let me check something...

image.png.3ac8066de5927389b9561fc170026523.png

Very similar in setup to an AC which has a similar issue at times.  Sometimes the plastic misaligns and it's pressing down on the impeller stopping it from spinning.  You can hear the motor running, but the impeller doesn't move until you start it manually.  Other times, the tube itself is too far from the impeller to allow the flow to move.  Hopefully that helps in future.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 2/1/2024 at 4:16 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very similar in setup to an AC which has a similar issue at times.  Sometimes the plastic misaligns and it's pressing down on the impeller stopping it from spinning.  You can hear the motor running, but the impeller doesn't move until you start it manually.  Other times, the tube itself is too far from the impeller to allow the flow to move.  Hopefully that helps in future.

Thanks! That looks exactly like mine and sounds like the issues I deal with. 

Yours looks clean. Mine is filled with algae and gunk. Vinegar soak  doesn’t even get it that clean. 

• Like 1