Nerite Snail Eggs

pctomgirl

In freshwater nerite eggs are not viable. They cannot hatch.  However be certain they are nerite eggs which are safe to go down the drain but stick pretty fast to whatever they are on. 

If they are gelatinous masses those are a variety of invasive snail eggs. Ramshorn, pond, bladder etc. those need frozen or doused with hydrogen peroxide or soaked in seltzer water. They get into water treatment plants and wreak havoc. 

On 1/18/2024 at 10:53 AM, pctomgirl said:

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of them? Letting them run down the drain feels wrong somehow.

A spudger should work. You can also use a stainless steel or metal tool, just be careful on some surfaces, knowing you'll leave some marks.

Not sure what you mean about removing them vs. The drain. I would encourage you to toss them in the garbage as opposed to the drain as a general rule for anything coming out of your aquarium.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:58 PM, Guppysnail said:

In freshwater nerite eggs are not viable. They cannot hatch.  However be certain they are nerite eggs which are safe to go down the drain but stick pretty fast to whatever they are on. 

If they are gelatinous masses those are a variety of invasive snail eggs. Ramshorn, pond, bladder etc. those need frozen or doused with hydrogen peroxide or soaked in seltzer water. They get into water treatment plants and wreak havoc. 

They were hard shelled so I'm pretty sure they were nerite eggs but I ended up picking them off my plants and setting them in the trash just so I didn't mess up any plumbing.

• Like 1