Help with BBA in planted freshwater tank

On 2/13/2024 at 8:37 AM, awgraham said:

@gjcarew Thanks. Not beating myself up, just wanting to figure out and learn from my mistake if I made one. Dumb Q - how do I test for chlorine? My screenshot above shows what I can test for - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, GH, KH. Oh, I guess I bought a phosphate test too, when I started this thread. Do I need to buy a specific test for chlorine?

Most test strips can test for chlorine, and the API master test kit

On 2/12/2024 at 6:42 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Um why? You’re over thinking this.

I’m doubting this. Fish aren’t stupid, they would swim away.

Think about any body of water and I bet the temperature varies significantly at various depths. I doubt any fish dies be cause they swam deeper and water temperature changed by 7 or 8 degrees.

I'm definitely not trying to overthink it.  Some people, very rare, have reported issues with it happening.  I've seen it once.  It's not something where I will say it's anyone's (or any product's) fault, but just a word of caution to try to add things diluted if you can or pour it to where it will disperse well. 

If you see a random death and that's something that was added in the timeframe... it's worth mentioning, so I did.

Edited by nabokovfan87
typo

On 2/13/2024 at 3:10 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

According to Dennis Wong, 2ppm of chlorine is fatal. Maybe it’s a part of that 5ppm?

I don't have any chlorine tests. I'm going to chalk this up to my not adding Water Conditioner and will go back to doing so in the future, regardless of what type of water I'm using. I'm assuming there is no harm in using it, even if I don't need it.

On 2/13/2024 at 4:13 PM, awgraham said:

I don't have any chlorine tests. I'm going to chalk this up to my not adding Water Conditioner and will go back to doing so in the future, regardless of what type of water I'm using. I'm assuming there is no harm in using it, even if I don't need it.

I add it and use RO/DI. Doesn’t hurt and just another layer of security.

• Like 2

From what I understand, dechlorinator uses up some amount of dissolved oxygen, but not enough to worry about it unless you're already on the edge of not enough oxygen and even then you'd probably have to overdose the dechlorinator. So under normal circumstances, yeah, it's probably harmless.

On 2/13/2024 at 5:48 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

From what I understand, dechlorinator uses up some amount of dissolved oxygen, but not enough to worry about it unless you're already on the edge of not enough oxygen and even then you'd probably have to overdose the dechlorinator. So under normal circumstances, yeah, it's probably harmless.

I followed Cory’s advice of adding an air stone inside my hang on back filter, so I assume I should be good. Thanks for the confirm. 

• Like 1