I need help with my betta…

My betta keeps looking at herself in the reflection of the glass and swimming up and down over and over again. She eats fine and is active just I don’t like how she keeps looking at herself and stressing her out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have added a video of her doing this.

Here is a video link since I cannot upload it here. (It's on YouTube)

Edited by Matthew does stuff
  • Like 1

Cc @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @xXInkedPhoenixX

The behavior you're seeing is very normal and actually can be healthy for the betta. It's a behavior where they exercise muscles that they need to for the sake of being healthy long term. The issue comes in when they don't stop flairing and they overexert themselves to the point of malnourishment. (This basically applies to male Bettas, but I would think that female Bettas can do it as well)

A few common techniques would be to relocate the tank itself if there is a long term glare issue causing too much stress.  You can also try something like a white or black vinyl film on the side of the tank to cover up some of those reflections and make it harder for the fish to see itself.

Beyond that I think add in some more decor / hard scape to keep the fish interesting. Maybe a good rock or a piece of would could be helpful to give the fish more "things to do" and explore.

• Like 4

Thanks for the information! She keeps doing this constantly even as I’m typing this. I tried putting paper on that side of the tank but I’m gonna have to find something thicker so you can’t see through it.  I’ve gonna add more rocks and plants to this tank because it is a little bare. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:14 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I tried paper on the walls but my betta could still see it because the glare occurred on the inside. I relocated the tank and added more plants.

Exactly my experience. I tried to cover the side on black but didnt help me. I also had this issue only in the smallest betta tank I keep. The bigger and/or community tanks never had similar issues.

Try to plant that area. Also if you tank can support it, adding a few fish might be nice too. I don't think all bettas are community tank fish for real, but at the same time, I think they are also bored, usually being kept in small tanks all alone, having nothing to do.

BUT, you will need to remove betta and redesign the tank a bit, put in other fish and add betta again if you wanna add fish. And be ready for any secondary plan if it doesn't work. Otherwise the tank is its territory now and no new direct additions will be welcomed.

I was thinking about possibly adding amono shrimp into that tank. I have mystery snails that I have she leaves alone. I am going to need to add more decor and plants. I have nowhere else to relocate the tank so that's my best bet.

As well as this is a 6.5 gallon tank. Plenty better than her in that poor cup.