Substrate/Flow question

So i'll try to keep this brief. I had 2 questions:

1. Right now im using Caribsea Sunset gold....can I grow plants in sand (I think this is sand? they don't specifically say "sand" on the package though) but it doesn't look too fine. I hear mixed opinions on this?

2. Do plants care about flow much? Right now im using a fluval 407 and the flow is...decent (Good ripples at the top). but I read somewhere that most plants do not like much flow and will die. Is this true?

Thanks

Yes, you can grow plants in sand, including the Caribsea Sunset Gold. Its an inert substrate (doesn't add o remove fertilizers, hardness, or other chemicals), so using root tabs and fertilizers like Easy Green will help your plants grow. 

Most plants common to the hobby can take quite a lot of flow, and plants that are specifically tolerant to the highest levels of water flow, like you would find in fast flowing streams and rivers are called Rheophytes. 

Generally speaking slower growing plants will do better in very fast flow compared to fast growing plants. Fast growing plants will quickly get whipped around without having developed strong stems to resist the flow. Plants like Anubias, Bucephelandra, and Java Fern would fit well in this group.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 10:22 PM, Mercfh said:

So i'll try to keep this brief. I had 2 questions:

1. Right now I'm using Caribsea Sunset gold....can I grow plants in sand (I think this is sand? they don't specifically say "sand" on the package though) but it doesn't look too fine. I hear mixed opinions on this?

2. Do plants care about flow much? Right now I'm using a Fluval 407 and the flow is...decent (Good ripples at the top). but I read somewhere that most plants do not like much flow and will die. Is this true?

Thanks

1. I also use pool sand in some of the tanks.  I use gravel in the others.  If I can find an economical source, I want to try a coarse horticultural sand.  The plants can grow in all of them, including yours.   The problems arise with a really fine sand.

2. Like so many questions in this hobby, it depends.  Plants rely on flow to bring new nutrients to them.  Some plants can adapt better than others, but it is also possible to stress them out.  I have read that floating plants have a problem with high flow, and I 've also had Hornwort happily tumbling in the flow.  I recently tried Dwarf Hair Grass in a no-flow sanded tank, and it is still there.  The same plant in a light-moderate flow blew away.  The new plants could not develop an adequate root structure fast enough, and eventually died.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2024 at 10:21 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I use pool filter sand and I do not use root tabs. My tank is at 11 times turnover and I have my plants gently swaying at all times.

IMG_0469.jpeg

Wow that is beautiful! Do you use c02?

on the plus side: The Sunset gold sand does not seem to be "super fine" fortunately.

Edited by Mercfh

On 1/8/2024 at 11:53 AM, Tanked said:

Plants rely on flow to bring new nutrients to them. 

They also rely on flow to remove waste metabolites excreted from the plants. Algae likes to use waste metabolites.

just like animals that take in nutrients and excrete waste products, plants do the same.  Low brings them nutrients and pulls away wastes.

so plants respond well to suitable flow.  Suitable flow doesnt mean plants whipping around… In low flow circumstances, it can be improved sometimes by thinning out plant density.  Removing algae infested leaves improves flow, reduces shading of other leaves, removes algae mass that can help prevent fragments from spreading, pinching off leaves stimulates new growth…

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:15 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I do use CO2. It makes everything easier.

I have heard it opined there are three levers to control algae growth.  Lighting, nutrients and co2.  And I have heard it opined that it is better to learn to control algae growth with only working the two levers of nutrients and light intensity photoperiod and that Co2 simply adds more complexity…

I struggled for 6 months with algae before starting to spend money on co2.  Adding CO2 was my first breakthrough in the battle against algae..it is expensive to get in the CO2 game though.  The ongoing cost is not too bad, but the equipment investment is steep.  But, I heartily agree with Mmiller2001.  It certainly makes things easier.

I am once again trying to manage a tank without co2 injection…  and I am finding it a challenge.

In truth there are other levers though.. flow, plant density, pruning, topping and replanting, water changes etc…