40gal community tank stocking advice?

I’m new to this forum so I’m not sure which topic this would fall under but I joined because I’d like help finding a good stocking idea for my planted 40gal breeder tank. I was thinking about having a female gourami (maybe a powder blue dwarf one) or female betta as the centerpiece fish and some tetras and bottom dwellers but I’m not sure how many tetras or fish would go with it. I’d like multiple different kinds so maybe a school of neon tetras and a school of ember tetras with some corydoras (maybe panda) but I don’t want to accidentally overstock or get fish that aren’t compatible together. 

These are my parameters and tank info:

PH: 7.0-7.6 (around 7.2)

Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5.0-10ppm

Temp: 78-80F

Plants in tank currently:

Anubias, Java Fern, Hornwort & a mystery plant I got 2 years ago but I forgot the name of it (it’s attached to the rock in the left side)

-Planted, has driftwood, rocks, rock hides, aquaponics on the top and bamboo on the top 

All and any advice/criticism is much appreciated. I don’t plan on adding fish until I fish getting all the plants in and I know the plants are alive and thriving in the tank so maybe in 1-2 months but I’d like to prepare so I can make sure the tank is suitable for the fish. 

Also currently I do have a male betta in the tank (he’s 6-7 years old) but only because recently it was given to me by a family member that moved to a place that didn’t allow pets (even fish) and it was my only cycled tank that fit the needs for the betta perfectly. Which is another reason I won’t be adding fish anytime soon because the betta in there most likely won’t live too much longer considering how old he is so to make sure he doesn’t get stressed and enjoy his retirement home to himself, no new fishies anytime soon. 

4CCF7FF1-81E1-4680-81B4-F32519D83991.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome to the CARE Forum! I like your tank. You'll get perspectives from all sorts of aquarists here. I'm more of a fish breeder than anything else, so my perspective is colored by that interest of mine.

Those caves look inviting. You might consider some Apistogramma agassizii. Let's see if I can find a nice photo of a double-red / super-red male...

Screenshot2024-01-03at11_21_21PM.png.ec03d30bfd5cdd72f5b5e92644eab94d.png

Apistos love caves. That's what made it come to mind.

Tetras are always fun. You might also like a lively school of Rummynose Tetras...

Screenshot2024-01-03at11_25_05PM.png.8a24808856c4215f937a8ca20d812020.png

There are a lot of cool Corydoras to choose from, so find one you rally like!

I think that a few bottom-dwellers, a nice full school of shoaling / schooling fish in the mid water column, and 1-3 major centerpiece fish is a full, balanced tank if everyone gets along.

There's an old rule of thumb: add 3x plants for every 1x fish. I'd love to see your entire tank loaded with plants, and then sprinkled with fun fish. 

• Like 4

I’ve also been recommended to do 3 honey gourami along with the tetras and corydoras. Would 3 dwarf honey gourami (females), 10 rummynose tetras, 10 neon tetras (or ember tetras), 1 apistogramma (unless they need to be in pairs, and would a female be best?), and 6 corydoras work well for the tank? Or is that over stocked?

I’m also ordering 10 different species of live plants in a bundle which will have multiples of those species so hopefully the tank will be full of plants. 

• Like 1

Apistos or Rams would look great in that tank. Rams are a bit harder because they need almost zero nitrates but they are super fun. Here are some pics of Rams I have had in the past.

782179CB-772D-4990-B02A-BA796A103F8E.jpeg.aa96a1eb28ef6187577b8a642f0bab89.jpeg028832AF-E475-4CD8-8F24-06E04D804C39.jpeg.952fbbdc6a7a98f54d18b2bbe5fee384.jpeg

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Welcome to the group! 😄 Love your tank so far seems like you have received some good feedback. I always vote for corydoras they are very goofy and have no concept of personal space 😂 However some kinds of corydora will be better than others depending on what temp you need to keep the tank at. I can't wait to see what you decide to stock it with. 

Edited by JE47

@TrashPanda_XD my male apistos have been pretty good in community tanks, but I don't have a ton of experience with them, so take that for what it's worth.  A female might actually be worse from an aggression standpoint as she's more likely to stake a claim and want to breed.  I don't know if I would try apistos with gouramis, but someone else might have experience there.

I was thinking about just doing what I had planned which is 3 honey gouramis, 1 female Pearl, opaline or powder blue gourami (depending on which one I can find), 10 neon tetras, 5-6 emperor tetras and 6 panda corydoras. Idk if that will be over stocked or not but I’m wondering if I should get some more kinds of tetras like maybe a school of rummynose or ember tetras. 

There is a website that can help with stocking density. aqadvisor.com. It can give you a general idea of stocking density. Compatibility. Water parameters. Fish physical requirements. It’s not perfect, but it is fun to play with. 

Welcome! Normally I recommend killifish but fit this one I agree with @Fish Folk a pair of an Apistogramma species would be cool. Something that would make full use of those caves.

Another option could a pair of a Pelvicachromis species (kribs or a similar species). Then you could go for an almost biotope with you anubias, kribs, and some Killifish like Aphyosemion Australe, Striatum, or Gabunense (though that temp range would be a bit toasty for them).

Gourami are great too. I have three sparkling gourami in my 40 gallon tank. They live to lurk under anubias and lotus leaves. Honestly, they may even enjoy the caves too.

If you're pretty new, one thing I would suggest is to pick a species you absolutely know you want to get. Buy that, keep it for a while on the tank, learn how it acts when it's healthy and it's behaviors. Then add another species and repeat.

That way you know them and you can make sure they are all getting food while getting used to the tank. The second benefit is that it gives you more time to figure out what you really want.

I would also do fewer schooling species but bigger schools. The more the merrier and you'll get more interesting behavior. For me, adding more pygmy corys made them more comfortable and come out of hiding more often.

On 1/6/2024 at 2:53 AM, Schuyler said:

Another option could a pair of a Pelvicachromis species (kribs or a similar species).

I have been working with a pair of Nanochromis parilus. They are really elegant… but the male is so, so intensely aggressive…

IMG_2573.jpeg.d45f7d7a3a2c2bee7775a24f8b

• Like 1