Cory stuck to filter?

Mercfh

So I have an Aquaclear HOB 50 filter, this morning I found one of my peppered cories stuck to the filter intake. I turned off the intake and he seemed pretty lethargic...but no fins seemed ripped.

He's acting ok now tonight...but should he be ok? He seemed just stuck to the filter for awhile. He was breathing fast at first but it's slowed down.

• Like 1

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry.  Keep an eye on the little one and try to get a prefilter on the intake if you can.  I've never seen one in an intake like that, but they do LOVE flow. 

For the sake of it, what is the stocking on the tank and what is the temp of the tank right now?  They might be chasing flow / oxygenation if it's a bit hot.

(which would just mean to try to add an airstone if you can at minimum)

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:09 PM, Mercfh said:

So I have an Aquaclear HOB 50 filter, this morning I found one of my peppered cories stuck to the filter intake. I turned off the intake and he seemed pretty lethargic...but no fins seemed ripped.

He's acting ok now tonight...but should he be ok? He seemed just stuck to the filter for awhile. He was breathing fast at first but it's slowed down.

@Mercfh That probably was very stressful for the Pepper Cory I suggest slowing the flow or placing a pre-filter on the intake. It's possible for that to happen again. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 10:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry.  Keep an eye on the little one and try to get a prefilter on the intake if you can.  I've never seen one in an intake like that, but they do LOVE flow. 

For the sake of it, what is the stocking on the tank and what is the temp of the tank right now?  They might be chasing flow / oxygenation if it's a bit hot.

(which would just mean to try to add an airstone if you can at minimum)

Stocking is:
2 plecos (smaller kinds)
6 cories
2 snails
4 guppies

I have a HOB Aquaclear 50 (on one side) and a bubbler on the other side. Temp is at 77. Not sure if it matters that the HOB is on one side the bubbler on the other (surely bubblers can't make "that" much flow)

FWIW none of the others have been doing that.

Edited by Mercfh
  • Like 1

Yeah, the temps are warmer which just means you'll need to make up for it with oxygenation.  It's a slight thing, but as the temp goes up you lose a little bit of oxygenation. You have the air stone in there, so that's a good sign.

Of note, just keep in mind this also increases the metabolism of the corydoras which also makes them have a reduced lifespan as well. It's not an exact science or anything, but there are some species of corydoras that so better warmer. Trilineatus or sterbai being two of them.

What's maybe a better temp? I have pleco's in there as well and guppies?

Most stuff for corys I see says mid to high 70's?

(Is it also bad the bubbler and the hangback filter are on different sides? im worried about flow causing disturbances) but I doubt bubbler affects flow much?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:44 AM, Mercfh said:

What's maybe a better temp? I have pleco's in there as well and guppies?

Most stuff for corys I see says mid to high 70's?

Depending on the scientific name you're working with would give you a better idea.

The majority of corydoras are going to want to be with slightly cooler temps in the 72-74 range.  There are some that can do 76 and be fine, some that can do ok with 78.  There are people that keep them with discus, but I would really think that is stress and a reduced lifespan.

Planet Catfish and other sources have information on habit. Seriously fish is another good one. There is corydoras world as well.

The general guide is that fish that want cooler temps can want it because that water is highly oxygenated, but there are fish that generally hurt want (need I should say) cooler water. River species tend to be in that realm as well as a lot of cypranidae fish.

So in this situation, I don't have a really good answer for what temp works well for the stocking.  I would assume 76-78 is the range you'd want the tank in.  You've got the added air in there as well. Prefilter helps with the issue of fish going where they shouldn't be.

Essentially, the goal right now is to recover the fish that had the issue. Keep an eye out for infection, redness, torn fins, and not eating.  Salt can be used for some things. Maracyn would also be used in some cases. Any sort of cotton like things would be fungal and you would use jungle fizz tabs or ich-x with salt.

Hopefully that helps.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:44 AM, Mercfh said:

(Is it also bad the bubbler and the hangback filter are on different sides? im worried about flow causing disturbances) but I doubt bubbler affects flow much?

Good circulation helps. If you want you can post a photo of the setup to give us a better idea of the concern.  I would tend to make sure the output of the HoB is towards the middle of the tank and then the air stone somewhere on the right side.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:43 PM, lefty o said:

no need to be that warm. 72-74 is plenty.

I moved it down to 75. I guess just because the guppies seem to like around 76+.

Also here is a picture of the current aquarium. HOB filter/heater is on the left, bubbler on the right.:

PXL_20240104_011615750.MP (1).jpg

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:24 PM, Mercfh said:

I moved it down to 75. I guess just because the guppies seem to like around 76+.

Also here is a picture of the current aquarium. HOB filter/heater is on the left, bubbler on the right.:

PXL_20240104_011615750.MP (1).jpg

ive kept guppies most of my life, 72-74 is ideal for guppies.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:19 PM, lefty o said:

ive kept guppies most of my life, 72-74 is ideal for guppies.

Oh ok cool. What is your thoughts on the bubbler/HOB location? There doesn't appear to be like a "crazy flow" but there is def. some flow coming from the HOB end but none of the fish seem like they are "fighting" the flow.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would try to place it so the intake is in the middle of the tank as opposed to one side.

Just to reduce flow I guess? I basically did it for aethetic reasons but I guess it's more "even" if it's in the middle.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, Mercfh said:

Just to reduce flow I guess? I basically did it for aethetic reasons but I guess it's more "even" if it's in the middle.

The suction is basically the junk vacuum. Right now you're intake is on the far left all the way against the wall, just not quite optimal. That's all. The flow in the middle will also hit the front glass and then go along both sides. Better circulation and heat distribution and things of that nature.

You can try to mount it on the side of the tank if you're having flow issues (too strong of a flow) or check into something to baffle the output.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:43 PM, Mercfh said:

s there any good indications of "too much flow"?

I don't think any of my stock is particularly sensitive to flow but then again im still new to the hobby.

Basically if you have long fins or tails you'd see the fish struggling to stay in place and getting tossed around. Guppy tails can qualify for that and they aren't the best swimmers. Raising the water line so the water hits the watering when it outputs also helps to "tame" the flow a little bit too and act as a little bit of a baffle.

That being said there is flow adjustment and all sorts of things where you want to see some surface movement, but not really see something like the fish being tossed into the wall.

This is my tank, what I would consider "pretty decent flow" and most people use less flow than this.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Basically if you have long fins or tails you'd see the fish struggling to stay in place and getting tossed around. Guppy tails can qualify for that and they aren't the best swimmers. Raising the water line so the water hits the watering when it outputs also helps to "tame" the flow a little bit too and act as a little bit of a baffle.

That being said there is flow adjustment and all sorts of things where you want to see some surface movement, but not really see something like the fish being tossed into the wall.

This is my tank, what I would consider "pretty decent flow" and most people use less flow than this.

Yeah that's more flow in my aquarium. Would something like what you have set up be ok for like a guppy or only high flow fish?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:51 PM, Mercfh said:

Yeah that's more flow in my aquarium. Would something like what you have set up be ok for like a guppy or only high flow fish?

Keep in mind that's shooting 4 foot across the tank. I like to see surface movement, but most of the time when you have a guppy or a betta or something I don't think they want a ton of flow pushing them around. Things like redness near the base of the tails or red gills or struggling to stay in place would be the indicator for me on if the flow is too high.

Etsy has baffles. You can also check YouTube and stuff for how to make one out of a water bottle.

I don't notice any of them struggling so I think mines ok for now. It's an AquaClear 50 so it's nothing crazy. Most of my fish are bottom dwellers anyways so I don't think they feel much.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 9:43 PM, Mercfh said:

Is there any good indications of "too much flow"?

I don't think any of my stock is particularly sensitive to flow but then again im still new to the hobby.

too much flow to me is when the fish can never relax, and are constantly fighting being blown around the tank. in most cases, some light current is fine, but they do need to be able to find places of little to no flow that they can rest in.

• Thanks 1