Easy Root Tabs gelatin

Lonkley

Cycling a new tank, just plants at the moment.  A couple of the root tabs gelatin made it to the surface.  I kind of assume its a vegetable gelatin?  Once I add shrimp, will this make a good meal or should I try to get it out?  The plants around it aren't firmly rooted yet, so I was planning on just waiting it out instead of siphoning.  If it turns to ammonia, better yet to help start the cycle.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, Lonkley said:

Cycling a new tank, just plants at the moment.  A couple of the root tabs gelatin made it to the surface.  I kind of assume its a vegetable gelatin?  Once I add shrimp, will this make a good meal or should I try to get it out?  The plants around it aren't firmly rooted yet, so I was planning on just waiting it out instead of siphoning.  If it turns to ammonia, better yet to help start the cycle.

Can't imagine it would hurt anything, other than looking a bit dirty for a little while until it dissolves.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 4:22 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

but I've had Easy Root Tabs pop up on me during several occassions

Put a pin hole in them so they fill with water. Works a trick on my 35.  But this 10 gallon has only about an inch of substrate.  

It cleared up, i vacuumed some.  SInce then the tank has cycled and I've just added my first 5 shrimp this weekend to see if they agree with me that it's ready for life.  So far so good, though being a shrimpy paradise I doubt ill ever see 5 at the same time. Slowly adding more once I feel confident.

Edited by Lonkley

I saw a video that explained that and I’ve since been poking holes in them :) though sometimes I just can’t get them down far enough. My tweezers aren’t curved which makes it challenging.

How exciting! I’m sure your shrimp will be living their best lives, whether you see them or not😂

On 1/15/2024 at 10:20 AM, Lonkley said:

though being a shrimpy paradise I doubt ill ever see 5 at the same time.

You'll be surprised. I put 10 shrimp in this 20 gallon a year ago. For the last 3 months, I run a net through it monthly & move a few dozen to my 55 gallon nano fish tank.

PXL_20240108_182645480.jpg

• Love 1

Oh the plan is to let them breed. That's why I have 5 in a 10 gallon.  I'll be adding 5 a week until I have 15 to start the colony.  But for right now, with this first batch, I'm happy to see one.