DIY Aquarium Stand Question

Mattlikesfish36

I am going to be upgrading to a 40 breeder for my shell dweller cichlids and I am planning on building my own stand from 2x4s. My question is, does the aquarium need to line up directly with the legs on the corners? Or can I build it wider than the tank and center it on the top? I would like to build a 5 foot wide stand to fill a space evenly against the wall where it will be going. I am also planning on having a variety of nano tanks on the bottom. Any advice would be much appreciated! 

IMG_2448.jpeg

Like Lefty-O, I'm no engineer either! I have built several tank stands though and thought I'd tell you what I've come up with that has served me well over the years. For my top and bottom shelves, I frame them with 2x6 and add 2 supports evenly spaced left to right running front to back. I use 3/4" plywood on stands that are larger than the tank sitting on it. For legs I use doubled up 2x4s. I realize that I'm probably going way over what I need for the tanks but I figure if I do that I'll never have to worry about anything happening to the tanks in the future. Best of luck to you with your project and I hope you will post a picture of what you create with the tanks in place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lots Of Loaches said:

Like Lefty-O, I'm no engineer either! I have built several tank stands though and thought I'd tell you what I've come up with that has served me well over the years. For my top and bottom shelves, I frame them with 2x6 and add 2 supports evenly spaced left to right running front to back. I use 3/4" plywood on stands that are larger than the tank sitting on it. For legs I use doubled up 2x4s. I realize that I'm probably going way over what I need for the tanks but I figure if I do that I'll never have to worry about anything happening to the tanks in the future. Best of luck to you with your project and I hope you will post a picture of what you create with the tanks in place.

@Lots Of Loachesthanks for all of this info! I like the idea of using the 2x6 pieces. Better to be on the side of overkill than risking things turning out flimsy. I’ll definitely post pictures once things are up and running 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@lefty o @Lots Of Loaches well I ended up taking the easy way out after seeing a sale at Home Depot. I bought these husky shelves that are rated at 1000 pounds per shelf. I’m feeling confident about the stand and it is up against an exterior wall perpendicular to the joists. The only thing is now I’m a little fearful about the narrow legs compared to the original plan I had for the DIY stand. Hoping it doesn’t go crashing through the floor. 

IMG_2506.jpeg

• Like 3

You had me moderately concerned because I couldn't tell if it had the steel mesh under it and it looked like you might have had 400 pounds suspended on OSB 😄

I think those are a good option for an out of the box stand.  And honestly, they don't look bad.  I'm trying to slow-walk putting in a rack like this with some growout tanks.  Do you think I'd be able to hide one in my basement right in the middle of the walkway to our oldest's bedroom and the laundry room?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, jwcarlson said:

You had me moderately concerned because I couldn't tell if it had the steel mesh under it and it looked like you might have had 400 pounds suspended on OSB 😄

I think those are a good option for an out of the box stand.  And honestly, they don't look bad.  I'm trying to slow-walk putting in a rack like this with some growout tanks.  Do you think I'd be able to hide one in my basement right in the middle of the walkway to our oldest's bedroom and the laundry room?

@jwcarlsonhaha I was a little nervous about them without some plywood for reinforcement. I’m sure you could fit one in a smaller spot like that. I think they may have smaller sizes as well but I’m not sure about the weight capacity on the other models 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:38 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@lefty o @Lots Of Loaches well I ended up taking the easy way out after seeing a sale at Home Depot. I bought these husky shelves that are rated at 1000 pounds per shelf. I’m feeling confident about the stand and it is up against an exterior wall perpendicular to the joists. The only thing is now I’m a little fearful about the narrow legs compared to the original plan I had for the DIY stand. Hoping it doesn’t go crashing through the floor. 

IMG_2506.jpeg

i think you'll be okay!!

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:04 AM, jwcarlson said:

I've got space for it, but I need one that my wife can't see.  Maybe I can paint it camoflauge.

@jwcarlson let me know if you find a paint that works haha that is my issue as well 

On 1/4/2024 at 11:49 AM, Lonkley said:

You know,  since you have the space... you could swap it with a 75g, i mean either petco or petsmart is running their eternal 50% off sale.  

@Lonkley I love that idea but it makes me so nervous about the weight of such a big tank haha

@Mattlikesfish36 The stand looks like it worked out like you wanted in the beginning. They look strong enough to handle the job with the added benefit of being lighter than shelves made out of wood. I'm just curious, how did the price of the shelves compare to what you would have spent on wood to build your own design? Just in case I find myself in need of more shelves to accommodate my wife's MTS addiction. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:17 PM, Lots Of Loaches said:

@Mattlikesfish36 The stand looks like it worked out like you wanted in the beginning. They look strong enough to handle the job with the added benefit of being lighter than shelves made out of wood. I'm just curious, how did the price of the shelves compare to what you would have spent on wood to build your own design? Just in case I find myself in need of more shelves to accommodate my wife's MTS addiction. 

@Lots Of Loaches I totally feel the MTS addiction haha. The shelves were around $150 which is more than the wood would have costed but the quick install and the 1000 pound per shelf rating made it worth it for me. Especially with a Christmas gift card which offset the cost. 

• Like 2