Urgent Dying Fancy Guppy with blood streaks on body and tale fin

evonner

I noticed my yellow guppy not being hyper and acting listless. I moved him to my hospital tank. It's a 5-gallon cycled tank and I added 2 T of aquarium salt. After I transferred him to the hospital tank I noticed red on him. He has blood streaks on his body and running down his tail (looks like veins) but he is supposed to be all yellow. 

I have a chart of diagnosing sick fish and it looks like Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia. It says to treat with Fin and Body Cure (antibiotics). I have that on hand. Should I medicate him and with the salt in there is it ok to add the antibiotics with the salt?

I took him from a community tank, is this contagious? I cant treat my community tank as it is heavily planted. Need help guys.

Oh and should I turn up his heater? He is at 78F at the moment but I believe I read in past that higher temps are better but I cant remember for what.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:42 PM, evonner said:

I noticed my yellow guppy not being hyper and acting listless. I moved him to my hospital tank. It's a 5-gallon cycled tank and I added 2 T of aquarium salt. After I transferred him to the hospital tank I noticed red on him. He has blood streaks on his body and running down his tail (looks like veins) but he is supposed to be all yellow. 

I have a chart of diagnosing sick fish and it looks like Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia. It says to treat with Fin and Body Cure (antibiotics). I have that on hand. Should I medicate him and with the salt in there is it ok to add the antibiotics with the salt?

I took him from a community tank, is this contagious? I cant treat my community tank as it is heavily planted. Need help guys.

Oh and should I turn up his heater? He is at 78F at the moment but I believe I read in past that higher temps are better but I cant remember for what.

What your describing could be bacterial in nature what I would do is keep the salt at the level it's at and do a course of API fin and body cure active ingredient is doxcycline will treat hemorrhagic septicemia what are your water parameters in the main tank ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature just in case something off

Everything in my main tank is normal. I did not test the GH and KH but I can. Temp is 78, pH 8.0 (normal for my tanks), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 20. I was able to diagnose the illness but I don't know how he got it. Nothing new in the tank or new tank mates. Nothing is out of the norm.

This website I found in my research says to put antibiotics in their food. Ok, that would be less harmful to my plants. What are anyone's thoughts on doing this?

"Bacterial infections are most effectively treated with antibiotics in the food. Many believe (and the instructions on the antibiotics say!) that antibiotics need to be added to the water. They are simply incorrect. This controversial topic is covered in the following link: https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/12-5-fish-dont-drink/   

"It is easy to make medicated food. Heat 1/4 cup water (two ounces or 58 milliliters, not a lot) in the microwave. Then blend seven grams of plain animal-derived gelatin (Knox gelatin, one packet) into the hot solution with vigorous stirring. Take two tablespoons of dry commercial fish food (pellets or flakes) and mix it with just a little of the hot water/ gelatin mixture. Add hot water/gelatin until you get a paste-like consistency. If it gets too watery just add more food. To get gel food to float simply mix in a little whipped cream at this point.

Then add just a “smidgen” (roughly 1/16 teaspoon, a 1% to 2% addition) of medication to the mud. If you are using more than one medication mix the medications together, then use just a “smidgen” of the mixture. If you are using a packet of medication, take just a “smidgen” of the packet contents. Mix and mash the whole mass thoroughly". https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-3-6-red-blotches/

I have decided to treat the community tank with medicated fish food to treat the fish that are not sick yet.  I may do a sulfa drug treatment to the water if I have another death.  Here is another link if you want to know more: https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/12-7-making-medicated-food/#:~:text=Take a teaspoon or so,4 teaspoon of the mixture. I have decided to experiment with methods #3, 4 and 5.  I will let you all know how this works out and if it does I hope this information is useful to someone in need.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:41 AM, evonner said:

I have decided to treat the community tank with medicated fish food to treat the fish that are not sick yet.  I may do a sulfa drug treatment to the water if I have another death.  Here is another link if you want to know more: https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/12-7-making-medicated-food/#:~:text=Take a teaspoon or so,4 teaspoon of the mixture. I have decided to experiment with methods #3, 4 and 5.  I will let you all know how this works out and if it does I hope this information is useful to someone in need.

Some antibiotic aren't effective in food such as kanaplex active ingredient is kanamycin sulfate as it's poorly absorbed by the gut so very little of the medication makes it into the blood stream. maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline and metroplex active ingredient metronidazole are adsorbed by the gut so are very effective in food if your using API fin and body cure active ingredient is doxcycline i would treatment for a minimum of 7 days feeding a small amount twice a day i would test your KH and GH just case something off as to low KH and GH can cause a lot of health issues in Guppies 

• Like 1

I am using the API Fin & Body Cure for the medication in the food. I used method #3 and added a little garlic juice.  It sinks but only the guppies got confused the platys did not get confused but they all ate it. My community tank is various types of platys and male fancy guppies. I just tested my GH and KH. 14 dGH and 7 dKH. These are normal to other tests in my log.  The Platys are more sensitive to GH less so for guppies. Temp never fluctuates. All my tanks are set at 78F and I check them every day. I know we always look to our water parameters when fish get sick. That was the first thing I did after I moved the guppy to the hospital tank. I have 2 community tanks and they both run the same numbers in everything. This is my 3rd death from this tank. First was a guppy, then a few weeks later, a platy and today a guppy.

On 12/22/2023 at 3:27 AM, evonner said:

I am using the API Fin & Body Cure for the medication in the food. I used method #3 and added a little garlic juice.  It sinks but only the guppies got confused the platys did not get confused but they all ate it. My community tank is various types of platys and male fancy guppies. I just tested my GH and KH. 14 dGH and 7 dKH. These are normal to other tests in my log.  The Platys are more sensitive to GH less so for guppies. Temp never fluctuates. All my tanks are set at 78F and I check them every day. I know we always look to our water parameters when fish get sick. That was the first thing I did after I moved the guppy to the hospital tank. I have 2 community tanks and they both run the same numbers in everything. This is my 3rd death from this tank. First was a guppy, then a few weeks later, a platy and today a guppy.

I would add an extra air stone during treatment and add a small amount of aquarium salt table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes After 7 days of doxcycline give us an update if your still having issues with this tank 

• Like 1

Won't the salt harm my plants? I'm heavily planted. $100's of value in plants.

I already run a sponge filter with an air stone on one side of the tank and an air stone on the other side of the tank along with two HOB filters on each side. It's a 29-gallon tank. I run this type of system on all my tanks.

My HOB's are probably overkill on filtration but I turn the flow down and have them baffled because platys are not too fond of too much water current.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, evonner said:

My tank 2023 12 22.jpg

Lower level of salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons is safe for most plants have used that level in my tank with water spite water lettuce anubias crinum vall  with out any issues you  could add a lower level  of salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons that won't harm your plants 

• Like 1