Greetings from India

Uproar

Hi everyone. Uproar here (not my real name of course). 20, from India.

A couple of months into this hobby. I was initially gifted a tiny bowl with 2 guppies and a fake plant. After a couple of months, I saved up enough to get a 1 ft cube (8 gal) and move my fishes in there. I currently have 2 female guppies and 1 male, along with 2 nerite snails. In a bucket I have around 30 beautiful frys growing. 
Currently saving up for my next tank which should be here in 2-3 months. 33g long is the plan (3 ft).

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all! 

IMG_20231120_182055.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

On 12/13/2023 at 1:23 PM, ScandiDefense said:

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you onboard! I started out with a 1 feet tank too. And one thing led to another and i now have 8 two feet tanks and not to mention my initial 1 feet tank. 😎 I am also very much into live bearers just that mine is mollies and platies.

You know, I was debating if I should sell my old tank when I get my new 3 feet tank but now that I've read your post, I'm inclined to keep it haha. I might switch to just a Betta and rehome the guppies because I don't want babies and keeping only males in a 8g cube isn't a good idea because I can't keep many to distribute the aggression.

And thanks so much for the warm welcome, Guppysnail and ScandiDefence

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 6:48 PM, Schuyler said:

Welcome to the forums!

From what you've seen in Aquarium Co-op videos, are there any differences between what the hobby is like in India vs the US?

Hi Schuyler, thank you!

Definitely different. There's a lot of difference between the Indian fishkeeping hobby scene compared to other countries. I'd say 90% of people here keep fish as decorations. Most common are 'fighter fish' (no one calls them Betta here for some reason), and GloFish. Obviously the overstocked goldfish 'bowls' too. 

I've been in the hobby for 2 months now and I've built connections with 2-3 LFS and a few friends who are also in the hobby. Aquarium equipment and material are also very very overpriced here due to most of it being imported. All the accessories are Chinese, and horrible brands at that. Fluval, Hygger, etc. are not available here. Live foods are also hard to get, even seeds. I've been trying all this time to get BBS eggs but no luck. 

Fortunately, Indian fish farms are surprisingly amazing. Most are in the southern region of India where they breed fishes in concrete ponds and rubber ponds. The quality of local bred fishes here are pretty damn solid! For example, you'd find guppies like dumbo ear, purple mosaic, etc. with breeders but not in LFS. Here you'll find crossbred variants only.

I've personally made a community exclusively for Indian fishkeepers and I'm in touch with 3 LFS to help me promote the group. It's the first of it's kind (Discord server and WhatsApp group). I gain nothing from it - I just aim to promote this hobby in a much healthier way in India. Indian people are too stubborn and won't deviate from their opinion but slow and gentle convincing sometimes gets the job done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 6:53 AM, Uproar said:

I'd say 90% of people here keep fish as decorations. Most common are 'fighter fish' (no one calls them Betta here for some reason), and GloFish. Obviously the overstocked goldfish 'bowls' too. 

Honestly, that part doesn't sound too different from the US. It's probably something like 70% here. The big chain stores really seem to push glofish and bettas (and glo-bettas).

Thanks for the in depth response!

Live foods are also hard to get, even seeds. I've been trying all this time to get BBS eggs but no luck.

Interesting, in the US most of our BBS eggs come from San Francisco or Salt lake. I wonder who else produces them. Depending on where you are you may be able to collect daphnia.

I just aim to promote this hobby in a much healthier way in India. Indian people are too stubborn and won't deviate from their opinion but slow and gentle convincing sometimes gets the job done!

Keep up the good fight! I think when people see what's possible it may help change their minds.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear @Uproar, welcome!  I really appreciated your description of the hobby in India - so interesting!  I live in Los Angeles and am pretty disappointed with the aquarium stores near me - the quality and variety of the stocked fish are pretty underwhelming.   Good luck with your efforts!  Andy

On 1/1/2024 at 12:11 PM, AAE said:

Dear @Uproar, welcome!  I really appreciated your description of the hobby in India - so interesting!  I live in Los Angeles and am pretty disappointed with the aquarium stores near me - the quality and variety of the stocked fish are pretty underwhelming.   Good luck with your efforts!  Andy

Thank you for the warm welcome 🙂

Welcome to the forum! I have a close online buddy from Bangalore. Nice tank and good luck on the upcoming one. I raise guppies and livebearers myself, they are awesome!

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 3:30 PM, Uproar said:

Hi everyone. Uproar here (not my real name of course). 20, from India.

A couple of months into this hobby. I was initially gifted a tiny bowl with 2 guppies and a fake plant. After a couple of months, I saved up enough to get a 1 ft cube (8 gal) and move my fishes in there. I currently have 2 female guppies and 1 male, along with 2 nerite snails. In a bucket I have around 30 beautiful frys growing. 
Currently saving up for my next tank which should be here in 2-3 months. 33g long is the plan (3 ft).

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all! 

IMG_20231120_182055.jpg

Welcome :)